Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happens at 6 months??

Default What happens at 6 months??

So on a breastfeeding workshop they advised to EBF for 6 months which is what I am doing (2 months in now).. But what happens at 6 months? Do they not need milk? Straight to solids?? My mum said they need milk for a year?? So what would I give??

Sorry if this is a daft question!

Cx

Default Re: What happens at 6 months??

Not your question is daft but that the info given was incomplete ;-)

Bluntly, nothing happens at 6 months, just keep on bf, there is no need to wean as long as you are comfortable nursing.

If you look in the section here in this forum on introducing solids, you will see lots of posts and replies on how moms approach introducing solids. Again, there is a lot of different views out there among pediatricians and dietican ets on when and what, but generally speaking most moms begin at about 6 months.

Somewhere there was a post not that long ago which I cannot find now which pointed out a differnce in use of the term weaning in UK and US (and the word daft makes me think you are in teh UK?). One view is weaning means ending nursing (apruptly) and replacing it with baby foods and the other that you continue weaning and slowly, slowly introduce baby to solid food.

There are again vrious routes to go: baby led solids - often called BLS, or also BLW, which basically means you offer but do not attempt to get the food into the baby but let baby put the food iinto her mouth. To find info on that look around in the Introducing Solids section or on Kelly Mom website.
    Others start by introducing pureed food (home made or bought in jars), and spoon feed this to the baby.
    Still others, like myself, combined the two approaches. It worked well for us on the whole.

lll@meg recommended a book recently which is really helpful My Child Won't Eat!: How to Enjoy Mealtimes Without Worry by carlos Gonzalez. He explains so much about how babies learn to eat. It is not a method but gives a useful background, I wish I had before i my son started solids.

SO basically I am trying to say, look into the different styles and apporaches to this and don't let anyone talk you into something you are not comfortable with, especially when it comes to timing the introduciton of solids - I wish someone had told me at the time that there was no hurry. It is your decision and you know your child best. I know one mom IRL who nursed her son on one breast without any solids at all until he was 10 months, and he is a fine strapping boy.

In practical terms, what you do is this: at 6 months, you give baby his/her first taste of solids, shortly after nursing. That way baby fills up on mom's milk (the perfect food throughout the first year). Solids are just for fun- new tastes, new textures, new motor skills. As long as a mom is nursing on demand, breastmilk alone is capable of meeting all of baby's nutritional needs until around the first birthday.

You can introduce solids via spoon or let baby feed him/herself via the BLS approach. Spoon-feeding and self-feeding can be combined in any way that works for you. You can spoon-feed when you have time, and let baby self-feed when you want to be doing something else- like eating your own dinner. Or you can let baby feed himself the easy-to-grasp solids, and reserve the spoon for messy foods like applesauce or yogurt.

The quantity of solids baby consumes should be very small at first. A teaspoon or two, once a day, is plenty for the first few months. As the baby gets closer to one, the quantity may increase, or baby may remain fairly uninterested in solids. It's normal for the transition from exclusive breastfeeding to consuming a majority solids diet to be a slow one, with many babies not consuming a lot of solids until they are midway through their second year. And you want to keep it this way, because breastmilk is the most balanced, complete nutrition you can give your baby. This is why you continue to offer solids only after nursing until baby is around a year.

What you feed your baby is up to you. Many people start with cereals, because they're cheap, bland, iron-fortified, and can be thinned out with a more nutritious substance, like breastmilk (if you're pumping and have extra). But you can also start with fruits, vegetables, and meats, which are more nutritious than cereals. Breastfed babies tend to be very open to exciting tastes. Let baby experiment with things that are sour (like lemons), garlicky or oniony, mildly bitter (greens like lettuce, arugula, spinach, kale), and spiced (curry powder, mild chili pepper). You want to avoid the following: salty foods, heavily processed foods (e.g. crisps, sausage, cake, cookies), honey (until the first birthday), nuts and hot dogs (choking hazard because they are impossible to chew until all the molars are in), and highly allergenic foods like shellfish, peanuts, and egg whites.

Signs of readiness for solids: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...s/solids-when/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok thanks but what do I do if I don't want to carry on breast feeding after 6 months?

Then you take the same basic approach, but you offer formula first, solids second. Formula is the 3rd healthiest option you can offer to an infant (number one is your own breastmilk, number two is breastmilk from another mother), but it offers more complete, more balanced nutrition than solids when baby is <1 year.

I'm so stupid lol

I honestly thought once they starts solids they wouldn't need milk!....hmmm will have to have a think as don't want to use formula after breast feeding!

Not stupid! Feeding an infant is not something they teach in school and it can be hard to get reliable information.

Is there something going on with nursing that makes you reluctant to continue on after the 6 month mark? If there is, please let us know! Maybe we can help you fix it or at least reassure you that it will change with time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Not stupid! Feeding an infant is not something they teach in school and it can be hard to get reliable information.

Is there something going on with nursing that makes you reluctant to continue on after the 6 month mark? If there is, please let us know! Maybe we can help you fix it or at least reassure you that it will change with time.
    No real issue I just had that timescale in my mind after attending the breastfeeding workshop... At the moment it consumes my life but I'm hoping that will get better and I can start going out and do things. I'm going to start expressing too so my OH can feed him.

I guess I won't know how I feel till I get to 6 months...

with mammi and mommal
    One view is weaning means ending nursing (apruptly) and replacing it with baby foods and the other that you continue weaning and slowly, slowly introduce baby to solid food.
    If I may, I think mammi meant to say, 'continue nursing and slowly, slowly introduce baby to solid food.'

You are not stupid cosmic babe. The infant feeding recommendations are written stupidly. They cause endless confusion. It is incredible how many mothers of babies getting to be 6 months or so call me and ask me if they have to 'wean'- to formula!

How did we all survive before health departments and these feeding recommendations and schedules?
    I think, we followed baby's lead and used common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cosmicbabe View Post
    I guess I won't know how I feel till I get to 6 months...
    The breastfeeding relationship does change with time. You may find at 6 months that breastfeeding is an easy and natural part of your life - easier than preparing bottles in the middle of the night, washing bottles, making sure you have sterile water and formula on hand when you go out....