Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning only, bf'ing schedule?

Default Pump weaning only, bf'ing schedule?

Hi!
    DD turns 1 tomorrow (!!!) and I plan to very happily wean off the pump at work and have her get cow's milk at daycare. I plan to continue bf'ing before we all leave in the morning, and 2-3x in the evening for as long as she likes. However, I'm wondering what to do on the days we're together (Weds and weekends). Is it possible to not pump on work days yet offer to bf during the day on the 3 days/week we're together all day? Can one's boobs adjust that easily or will I be setting myself up for problems? It's easy to give her cow's milk at daycare...I'm not available as an option!...but when I'm with her, I worry about how she might respond to not getting me when I AM right there!
    She's been steadily decreasing her nursing time overall and LOVES her solids...but I want to do whats best for her. Her older brother abruptly stopped nursing 1 week before his 1st bday (yup, realized it was likely a nsg strike too late) so have no experience about how to proceed with the weaning process.

Thank you for any input or advice!

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Default Re: Pump weaning only, bf'ing schedule?

Hi mama, congrats on getting to a year of BF'ing! That's wonderful.

Yes, after you pump wean, you can still feed on demand on your non-working days. Your supply regulates accordingly. Meaning, let's say you feed LO in the morning, then again a few hours later when she normally would be in daycare. That tells your breasts to make more milk - it's not like there's a fixed supply in there that you've then used up for the day, you know? So you don't have to turn down LO when she demands. And the non-working day nursing helps you maintain supply. It's really nice to keep nursing once you've liberated yourself from the pump!

Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to check in and see if anyone had had issues with plugged ducts, etc when your breasts get "told" to increase production for a couple of days...then the next few days, nothing is removed for most of the day...then there's a day of "nope, just kidding--make more milk?"...followed by a few days of "no, thanks." Know what I mean?

I suppose the best test will to just live it and see. DD is still certainly interested so I don't plan to stop bf'ing when we're together. Just feeling very pleased to put the mechanical baby (pump) away for good.

Thanks again!

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

Most moms don't have any issues with it. Your body just somehow knows to make just enough milk. It was almost like my boobs knew when it was saturday. If you've had a lot of issues with plugged ducts in the past it might be something to keep an eye on, but otherwise you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lukes.mom View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to check in and see if anyone had had issues with plugged ducts, etc when your breasts get "told" to increase production for a couple of days...then the next few days, nothing is removed for most of the day...then there's a day of "nope, just kidding--make more milk?"...followed by a few days of "no, thanks." Know what I mean?
    Do you have oversupply issues? I do, and today, for example, I have a very full left breast! But most of the time I'm okay. If you're worried about plugged ducts, have your pump available or be ready to hand express if you start feeling full

Thanks everyone! That's exactly the info I was hoping to get--you all are the BEST! I'll just keep my pump in the truck, ready to go if needed...thank you!
    Happy Mother's Day, mamas!

Married to Jake 10/7/06

This is what's awesome about this forum. Always someone has the same question you do! I was about to post about pump weaning and I saw this one... and pretty much answers my question! Thanks lukes.mom and the rest of you for answering!!

I am down to 1 pumping session (starting today!) - how long should I wait to just cut off pumping?

Until you're comfortable. I don't think there's any hard and fast. Could be a few days, a week, several weeks... I'd go slower if you're prone to engorgement/plugged ducts, but if you're not, you can probably cut down more quickly.