Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of random questions

Default Lots of random questions

Baby boy is 7 weeks old today. I have no issue with having enough for him - in fact, I may have too much. Would love some thoughts on these issues:

1. I'm shooting him in the face, and he seems to handle it SOMETIMES. Especially if he's just woken up and hungry. But, sometimes he chokes and that starts a cycle of choking-crying-burping-crying-choking-not wanting to nurse anymore.

2. Sometimes, he only nurses one side. In fact, he'll nurse the one side, do the choking thing, burp, and I'll try to return him to eat more -- he often won't. Then, less than an hour later, he's angry b/c he wants to nurse again. I'm trying to follow his cues - and when I offer side #2, he smiles, licks, nibbles - but rarely nurses.

3. He's doing a lot of clicking - so, I know that he's not latching perfectly every time. Sometimes -- especially when he's just woken up and therefore ravenous -- he has a "perfect" nursing session and there is no clicking. Often, there's clicking.

He has a slight tongue tie, but otherwise does well.

Thoughts?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Lots of random questions

That does sound like overactive letdown/oversupply - including the clicking - they move their tongue in a way to decrease the flow of milk - so that doesn't necessarily indicate a bad latch. How does the latch feel? In terms of the OALD: have you tried reclined nursing? Here's a picture: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf Also, taking baby off and allowing the initial letdown to squirt into a towel or cloth diaper, then latching baby back on, can help him deal with the firehose. The one-sided nursing is also likely due to oversupply. I think you're doing just the right thing. Offer the second side; if he wants it, he'll take it, if he doesn't, he's done. Just because he wants to nurse an hour later doesn't mean he didn't get enough in the previous session. Remember a normal nursing session might be 2 or 3 oz. Once he gets that, his body tells him he's satiated. He'll digest that quickly, since it's breastmilk and easily digested, and want more again - very normal newborn behavior! And that frequent nursing will help keep you from getting engorged, plugged ducts, mastitis - which can be a problem with oversupply.

Is nursing comfortable for you? Also, how is baby's weight gain?

Ok,phew. You're making me feel better.
    I've done the reclined, yes, but that was at first when I was in total pain from getting used to nursing a baby again. I could try it...

Otherwise, I'm in no pain whatsoever. I don't get engorged -- although I can feel VERY full if he's gone a few hours without nursing.

He is huge! Only 7 weeks and already wearing 3 month clothes. Doc was very pleased. We go back at the end of the month for another checkup.

Does OALD ever finally calm down?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

That's great there is no pain, suggests latch is fine. Rapid weight gain is also a sign of oversupply. Don't freak out if it slows down! As supply regulates, weight gain may slow down too. That's been the case for me. And yes, the OALD does calm down as your supply regulates. Also, as baby gets older, he will likely become more adept at dealing with it. You're still in very early days!

Yes It very often calms down just naturally. I suggest, Nurse very frequently, let baby nurse one side at a time unless baby is indicating baby wants the other, and experiment with positioning. There are lots of ways to position yourself and baby for nursing so the flow is a bit slower and/or baby has his head 'above' his tummy. You just want to find what works for you.

If after a while (days, weeks, it's up to you) the issues do not get better or get worse, you can consider block feeding to more actively reduce milk production. You still nurse frequently but you nurse on the same side through two feedings, slowly increasing the time of baby nursing on one side as needed. The idea is to make one side feel 'fuller' for some amount of time because that will send the signal to your body to make less milk. This WILL reduce milk production! so you want to approach it carefully while also being careful to not get truly engorged.

Further reading:

Forceful letdown and overproduction: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

The dark side of block nursing: http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html