Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids, dilemma

Default Starting solids, dilemma

Well, we've made it 6 months of EBF and every feeding was with mama. Phew!

We definitely want to see if baby is interested in solids. However, I have a dilemma. I love the idea of BLS, but to be honest I want to spoon feed her little bit as well. The reason is that I feed her primarily from one breast. The other breast produces only about 4oz/day of which she does not drink, both because she almost completely refuses that breast and refuses a bottle.

So, my freezer is full of refused milk that I pumped to keep the other breast in lactation mode. This has been going on for like 4 months, and her weight gain was 100% normal, except that in the last 3 weeks she gained only 6oz. The 4 weeks before that weight check she gained 20oz. Should I be concerned? The Dr. didn't seem to care at all. She is rolling herself across the floor and can sit up, very active, and refused to eat very much for about a week getting her teeth but her output was the same .

Anyway, I was going to make homemade toasted rice cereal pre-soaked overnight to aid in digestion and start very slow with that in hopes of giving her some more milk. Do I need to think about giving her more breastmilk looking at that drastic weight gain dip? Or is it normal and I shouldn't worry?

Thanks
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Starting solids, dilemma

Your baby gained about 2 oz per week for the last 3 weeks, which is perfect according to Kellymom.com's citation of the WHo child growth standards. According to kellymom, weight gain in the 6-12 month time frame averages about 1.75-2.75 oz per week. http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/.

infant growth isn't constant or even in all directions. Babies tend to go through growth spurts in weight and in height, and it's very common for babies to pause in weight gain while allocating more calories to growing in length, or to pause in length while putting more calories into weight. This is why we generally don't weigh and measure babies more than once every couple of months- zoom in too closely on the data and you'll worry too much about minor fluctuations, and miss the big picture of overall normal growth.

Once babies become mobile, they tend to vastly decrease their rate of weight gain. A lot of the calories that used to get packed on as fat go into motion, instead. This is normal and desirable, and you'll see a leaner toddler emerge from the baby chub by the end of the first year. Enjoy your baby's rolls while they last- you probably won't get to see them much longer!

When it comes to solids, there's no reason to think that you have to choose one feeding style and never use the other. You can let baby feed herself when you'd rather be doing something else, and spoon-feed her when you have time for that more labor-intensive style. Or let baby feed herself the relatively easy to handle solids, and spoon-feed her the messy ones.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Regarding your question of using your breastmilk in food, for the first few weeks or longer, I started my LO on very thin fruits or vegetables pureed with breastmilk. Her first food was banana mushed with breastmilk. Sadly, I can barely remember her second -- I think carrots with breastmilk. So it's a good way to get some more in her and use it up, if you want to do that. I did mostly spoon feeding for a while and then we moved on to some foods she could pick up gradually. Do what feels comfortable to you.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I'm doing BLS, but spoons are also part of our routine on some days. I give my daughter the spoon with whatever is on it, and she either eats it, or she does not. (In my case, she always eats it, ha!) I like the idea of her learning to use utensils, and she is already really good at getting the spoon into her mouth at 7 months.

In addition to thinning out purees with breastmilk, you can cook/bake with it when baby is into finger foods i've mixed breastmilk into LO's scrambled eggs, made whole wheat pancakes with it, etc.

we did a BLS approach because my LO refuses to be spoon fed ... sometimes i really wish he would let me though, just once in a while. i haven't figured out how to incorporate grains like steel cut oats and quinoa into a finger food for my Mr Independent, or stewed prunes when he's constipated :/ if your little one will do both (spoon feeding and BLS) then that's great!
    Last edited by @llli*mercystreet; June 13th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

We also did a combined approach -- mainly BLS, but she occasionally gets spoonfed with yogurt, silken tofu, or homemade chicken noodle soup. My little one is a great eater now and really has no time for the spoon (unless she thinks it is my food and then she can't get enough). We do steel cut oats almost every morning. In the beginning, we would thin it out with breastmilk and use a spoon. Now, we make a batch at the beginning of the week and put it in serving size containers for myself and little one -- I love it, because I swear it makes me produce an extra ounce a day! We don't warm hers so she has little chunks that she can eat herself as finger foods. I often will mix in blueberries or strawberries for her with it.
    First time mom to K 7/12/12, happily ; hoping to stop in the next few months!

I am doing BLS with baby but spoon feed here and there so I could give baby things like yogurt and already mashed potato or avocado that my older kids were eating, or out at a restaurant when she was on my lap and I did not want her to have fistfuls of mashed food to get all over both of us. In other words, I did not bother mashing stuff but if it was already mashed and it was more convenient to spoon I would try to spoon or finger feed.

As I understand it, the issue with bls and spoons is not the spoon itself, but that liquefied or pureed foods are put into a spoon and put in baby’s mouth, and this bypasses baby’s natural defenses, which include wanting to touch and smell and explore their food before it goes into the mouth. And spoons and very pureed or liquefied foods can be fed to a baby who is not ready for solids in a way that even bypasses baby’s tongue thrust reflex defense. You can still do baby led with a spoon by, for example holding the spoon in front of baby and let them lean forward and take it into their mouth, or reach out and guide it in. I personally found it easier and less messy to use my finger instead for this.

What about making popsicles with your expressed milk? Easy and fun.

You could also donate the frozen milk. We started with purees but ds almost always grabbed the spoon and fed himself. He got bored with that pretty quickly though and moved on to finger foods within a month or two. It really helped his fine motor skills to chase peas around his plate!

Great idea to donate the milk. Love the popsicle idea, never even thought of that!

Well, I've been doing just BLS no purees, and so far she has taken a few bites of food. It comes out like it went in, but I'd say that's fine. It's kind of funny, as long as I hold her and just offer whatever I'm eating, she is much more receptive. Sitting in a high chair she gets very upset and almost offended. I've been just putting the food on the table (no plate) and that works great too, as long as she's with me. I was really skeptical of the BLS idea until we found a food she really liked, cantaloupe! She loved it. So far that's the only one she's really liked, but I've just been offering a piece once or twice a day. Thank you everyone! Very good advice.

Again, I'm sure I've said this countless times on here, but so different than feeding formula/solids early. My oldest had solids at 4 months, and by this age she was eating bowls and bowls of puree.
    and Mama to two little girls