Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4mo distractions

Default 4mo distractions

My four month old has recently become very distracted while BF. She used to eat about twenty mins on one side and then ten on the other. In the last week I have only been able to get her to eat about five mins and only on one side, even with offering the other side. She has been eating a little bit longer early in the morning but that's it. She keeps popping off and just smiles and seems happy and will fuss when I try to get her to relatch. She has now started to do this with the bottle too when my husband feeds her while I am working. She is having 8-10 diapers still a day, and her weight is good. I am just concerned she is not getting enough and my breast are getting engorged at night because she is not eating much. I do pump in the morning routinely but should I be pumping more? Is this just a phase she is going through? Should I be concerned cause I am...

Default Re: 4mo distractions

My daughter did this at 3 months. she is just more efficient at the breast now. but upped her time to 5-10 mins. and now eats more often. I just offered the breast more often when she was doing that. I think its pretty typical. if you are worried you could definitley pump more. also your huibby can offer the bottle more if she stops. My daughter just became a snacker for about a month. she is still some what of a snacker but she seems to have evened out now.

Default Re: 4mo distractions

I'm going through the exact same thing with my 4 month old! Today especially was a *very* distractible day and DH and I were discussing things we could do to encourage her to eat better. I think it's going to be a quiet, semi darkened room with no distractions whatsoever. Although... LO still pops off, smiles sweetly and starts *talking* lol. I think offering to nurse / feed more frequently during the day and/or night is a good idea until this stage evens out a little!
    Life is Beautiful.