Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VENTING pumping at work diffiuculties!

Default Re: VENTING pumping at work diffiuculties!

Some states in the US (and I presume, other parts of the world) have specific pumping in the workplace laws.

I cannot believe they are telling you to hide the pump parts and complaining about where you 'leave' breastmilk, which I assume, is in the refridgerator? It’s so juvenile it’s almost funny - But it’s not funny. This is harassment, pure and simple.

Of course I 100% support your rights to clean your pump parts, store in a fridge, etc. but I did want to mention that I brought a cooler (small Medela 4-pack) and the ice pack kept my milk cool all day. I also did not wash pump parts, just wiped clean. So I kept everything all together in a bag and carried the bag two and from my desk. It was very discreet and easy too. Just wanted to mention this in case any pumping mamas read this that are concerned about the logistics. I would never store my milk in the nasty office fridge and the kitchen was on the opposit floor for washing everything. So that would have added 10 minutes or more for each trip not to mention all the coworkers in the kitchen watching my wash my pump parts. Not to say anyone should be embarrassed but offices are awkward places to begin with, kwim?

That being said, I think the way you are being treated is unacceptable. I would fight it and escalate it all the way.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pizanite View Post
    Of course I 100% support your rights to clean your pump parts, store in a fridge, etc. but I did want to mention that I brought a cooler (small Medela 4-pack) and the ice pack kept my milk cool all day. I also did not wash pump parts, just wiped clean. So I kept everything all together in a bag and carried the bag two and from my desk.
    This is similar to what I do because I don't trust the refrigerators at my workplace. I have a big lunch bag that I can store my lunch, milk, and pump parts that touch milk, and I chuck a few cold packs in it. It stays cool all day and I don't have to wash in between which saves me time.

You shouldn't have to do it that way, but it may relieve some of your stress while you're dealing with them being unreasonable.