Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VENTING pumping at work diffiuculties!

Default VENTING pumping at work diffiuculties!

My work place is making it so difficult to pump!

I am pumping on my breaks. 2 15mins and a half hour lunch.

They are constantly changing the rules about it. they have told me its awkward for people to see my pump parts and to hide them. they have now asked me to remove my backpack from the office i use to pump and hide that in a drawer.

there have been multiple emails about it.

There have been multiple complaints about where i am leaving my milk.

I am sure I am goign to hear something about me washing my parts in the sink. and walking through the halls holding bottles of milk.

it is just soo frustrating that everyone wants me to hide it sooo much. I hate having to take down and hide everything when that office is not used.... and I am the only person that needs to pump in there!

I seriously just want to cry and go home to my baby. i hate working full time anywyas! ugh!

ok end vent.

Default Re: VENTING pumping at work diffiuculties!

Okay this is ridiculous. Seriously? You have to hide the backpack that contains your pump??? Who is complaining? And who is in charge? Have you talked to your supervisor? Or is the supervisor part of this? Can you talk to someone above him or her?

Also, you might want to point out that having to spend time hiding everything is taking away from time you could be working, ie decreasing productivity. Because if you can leave everything assembled, you can be in and out of there that much faster.

Argh. Sounds really, really frustrating mama.

Thank you! it is frustrating! No one cares except the higher ups! But all 3 have been in charge since the 70s and I am the FIRST WOMAN TO PUMP AT WORK!!! I am so upset i am spending my time looking for a new job and trying to convince my husband i need to work part time and that we can live with out the money. ITs not working very well. But it makes me feel better to look for other jobs. though I will get over it and move on and just take the extra time to keep everything hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*randiocoy View Post
    No one cares except the higher ups!
    So the higher ups are sympathetic? That's a good thing! I think you need to keep talking to them and get them to kick everyone else's butt. Who cares if you are the first? You won't be the last. There is absolutely nothing special about what you are doing. You are feeding your baby in the NORMAL way that biology intended. Formula feeding is NOT NORMAL, it's a manmade invention that is inferior to breastfeeding. You just really need to be very clear that you are not willing to give your baby substandard nutrition just because people at work aren't used to it.

Anyway, I don't blame you for looking for a different job. Maybe you can remind your husband this is such a short time - you're talking about a matter of months. After a year you can pump wean and not deal with any of this.

I say don't do anything you're not willing to do, and if you're fired, you have a lawsuit on your hands. Save every email and document every request. Please show them your state's rules regarding pumping at work and discuss with them (as calmly as you can) what you think is reasonable and unreasonable, and show them how you have done your best to make them comfortable.

I once had a coworker complain to me about how his boss kept her breastmilk in the same fridge (the horror!), and then 10 seconds later chugging a bottle of cow's milk. What?!!!!!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I should correct myself. The higher ups are the only ones that complain. No one else cares (as in minds) that i am pumping. It is so frustrating. they say things to my face. very seldom over email. I am thinking about writing an email to HR from our parent company. But I know they will be super pissed off. Last time I brought up a problem it was never resolved after a long meeting in which we argued and left it at that. It has been awkward ever since. I decided my job is not important enough to make a scene again! And now i just try my best to do what I am told and leave it at that. I am good at my job and I can see growth in my future if i can put up with some of the old school BS that goes on around here.

Do you have a HR department that could handle your complaints? Or that could support you on your right of pumping at work? Or complaining about discriminating against you for being a BFing mom/woman? (They don't like the discrimination word!)

I am sorry that you are going thru that situation. My only bad experience with pumping at work was not being able to find a clean place to pump. They offered me a file room (which... ugh dust, bugs, etc. etc... eew) so I refused. And I ultimately sent an email saying that I was going to pump in my car since I considered a cleaner environment than that file room! One of my coworkers happened to know an HR person who was able to get me an empty office in a different floor, and that worked great!

Also, I would send that LLLI article (or document...) where it exlains that BM is a food not a body fluid and you can store it in the refrigerator to those who complain about your milk storage. Saying something like... please educate yourself (haha, probably too rough)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*randiocoy View Post
    I am thinking about writing an email to HR from our parent company. But I know they will be super pissed off.
    I think I'd still contact the parent co's HR. As one of the PPs pointed out, you may be the first woman to pump at work but you sure as heck won't be the last. This BS has to be addressed- wait for it- for the good of the COMPANY! If they are risking losing qualified employees due to sexism, the parent company NEEDS TO KNOW.

There may be a way to address this without it coming back to bite you. Make it clear that you are worried about making waves at work, because in the past it has caused awkwardness between you and the higher-ups. Maybe that will result in some sort of memo entitled "New Corporate Policy re: pumping at work". If that works, then no need to push further. If it doesn't, then it's time to e-mail HR again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies! you are so right! I am going to handle this professionaly! Sometimes its so hard to not let emotions run my actions!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.