Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gaining weight but still hungry!

Default Gaining weight but still hungry!

Hi,

My daughter is 2 months old. She is gaining weight pretty well. She was 6 lbs 15 oz at birth and now 11 lbs 13 oz. Is it possible that baby is gaining weight pretty well but still hungry after a feeding? She seems to be more hungry in the evenings and I feel my mil supply is low Any inputs regarding this?

Thanks
    Prathibha

Default Re: Gaining weight but still hungry!

I had the same issue with my DS. He never seemed to get enough in the evenings and many times seemed upset. He was gaining very well (14lbs at 2mos). Eventually my supply caught up. Since he cluster feeds from 4-7pm, my milk supply has become greater at that time. However, there were a few frustrating weeks before it all worked out. At 2 months he was also getting up 4-6 times per night to nurse. At 5 months, he is down to 3 (only once after 11 pm), it does get easier! He is also having much longer nursing sessions now that he is older, I think that helps too.

Hang in there! It will pass.

Your DS is cluster feeding! (Oh, I remember that time well!)

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Your supply isn't low and it will adjust to what your DS needs. I remember those days well. It seemed as if I just sat on the couch and feed DD all evening! Add cluster feeding to a growth spurt and you are down right exausted!

Hang in there as the pp said, the cluster feeding will pass. Just hang in there and enjoy the close time with your baby. Just set up shop somewhere with some water and some snacks and the remote and nurse away! You are doing a great job!

How long is your child nursing for? Just one side or both sides? How often in the afternoon/evening does he nurse?

sorry...i meant "she."

She normally nurses for 25-30 mins. And she nurses both sides. In the evenings she wants to nurse every 1 1/2 hrs and after nursing still seems hungry. She doesnt cry but is still rooting and sometimes sucking her thumb after nursing!

Wink Re: Gaining weight but still hungry!

Hi! My 7 week old is doing the same thing. Before, he was eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but now...mainly in the evenings, he's wanting to eat every 1 1/2 hours or slightly less. The only difference in my situation is that he cries. I think it's gas pains....because he'll pass gas during this time and then be perfectly fine. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Should I be concerned? He's thriving/gaining weight...but could I not be providing him with enough nourishment? Would that be why he's crying????

Thank you.