Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Schedule

Default Feeding Schedule

I have a D/S who is 4 1/2 months, I was wondering if I am the only one who dosen't have a feeding schedule? since day one I let him nurse when ever he's hungry. Should I have him on a schedule? When I am with friends and family they will ask me "your feeding him again?"

Default Re: Feeding Schedule

I never had a feeding schedule with my son -- and it seems, from what I see and hear, that most breastfed babies do better and have longer nursing relationships if they are not put on a schedule.

Some babies do develop clear patterns to their nursing, but some do not. The important thing is to nurse on cue -- that way he gets his needs met and your supply keeps up with his changing demand.

Just ignore the negative comments from friends and family. They are probably used to formula feeding, where as the baby grows you just make bigger bottles. If someone really persists, tell them that if they were trying to triple their body weight in one year, they'd be eating pretty frequently too.

--Rebecca

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Never had my baby on a schedule, though they do develop their own routines after a while...

Here's a great LLL article about whether or not you need to feed on a schedule...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/schedule.html

Jacqui

I didnt think breastfed babies ever had a feeding schedule

Hi there!

Actually he does have a feeding schedule-when he needs to nurse he tells you! That is his very own custom schedule!

Seriously though, it is hard for many people to see that letting the baby lead is normal. Afterall, we wouldn't want someone else tell US when it is time to eat, would we? When family would comment that I was "feeding AGAIN!", I would say something cute like: "Yes, I know, isn't it great that she is able to tell me what she needs!" That often turned things around and made them realize that what we were doing was very normal, and it sort of educated them in the process.

As babies get older many become more predictable. But sounds like you two are doing just great just the way you are! Keep it up!

You are doing exactly what you should be doing! Babies are very good at figuring out when they are hungry and because they let us know when they are full and we acknowledge that, bf babies are also less likely to be obese when they are older, too!!!

I got that a whole bunch, too! To make it worse, ds is a BIG BOY so everyone always thought that I would make him an obese child. It's nice to have research to back you up!

Also, I would often tell people that bm is digested more efficiently than formula so bf babies often eat more frequently.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Talking Re: Feeding Schedule

A feeding schedule?? Never heard of it before!!
    Ignore what other people say....what your baby needs and wants is most important. My Aunt told me that my baby needed to be on "schedule" she said 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, 12pm and then don't feed again until 6am. I did the 6am, and then it was about 815am, 10am, 1215am, and so on......do what works for you.

None of my kids were ever on a schedule..well, actually my oldest was for the first 3 months because she was born at 32 weeks and we were told to feed her every 2 hours for weight gain. After that, she ate when she was hungry.

All of mine were a little early so I never let them go more than 4-5 hours without a feeding, but as they got older they just ate when they wanted.
    I believe on feeding on demand, personally . People sure say some funny things

Nursing babies need to be fed the way you are doing it. Feed him when he's hungry and it's perfect. One of my friends is trying to do the 12 weeks to 12 hours of sleep thing with her just turned 3 month old that you only feed them every 3 1/2 to 4 hours and let them only nap for one hour at a time during the day and then try to get them to sleep 12 hours straight at night. Things like this are rediculous and border on child abuse in my mind. Nursing babies need to eat at least every 2 1/2 hours normally or just whenever they get hungry and no baby needs to be going for 12 hours straight without nursing. My friends baby went from being happy and sleeping 8 hours straight each night to always crying and waking up every 2 to 3 hours every night. YET they are still keeping to this schedule, go figure...

Sounds like you're doing just fine to me!

Many people are confused when told by the hospital to feed their babies *at least* every three hours. IE, if the baby doesn't cue to nurse within three hours of the beginning of the last nursing session, it's time to offer. Somehow, this becomes interpreted as "don't feed until three hours have passed."

Some women do have the storage capacity to "schedule" feedings as well as a baby who is content and thriving, but all too often a restrictive schedule results in a decreased milk supply (which is dependent upon demand) and a baby who doesn't get enough milk to grow adequately.

As he gets older, you may notice that he has developed a fairly predictable nursing pattern and you can anticipate when he'll next need to nurse with quite a bit of accuracy.