Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping schedule

Wink Pumping schedule

Hi,
    I'm going back to work next month and will be doing mostly pumping during the week. My question is, should I be pumping for the equivalent of each time my girls eat (twin girls)? I've read that some people were able to "drop" a pump at some point. How does that work? I can really only go 4 hours at the most without pumping before I feel like I might explode.

Right now I pump after each feeding or I pump at each feeding if the girls are getting expressed milk. I only skip one feeding, which means I pump 6 times a day.

Any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: Pumping schedule

Yes, you do want to pump about as often as you would be nursing. In your case maybe even more, if you're currently pumping and feeding - by moving to just pumping you are essentially dropping sessions. Are you feeding all your expressed milk to the babies right now? Or is some going into the freezer? Certainly with twins you want to err on the side of more frequent pumping, because you have twice the demand of a singleton mom! If you find that the amount of pumping you are doing is resulting in lots of milk going into the freezer, then you can consider decreasing the frequency of pumping - although even in that situation, many mothers continue with the same frequency of pumping, because it often gets harder over time to maintain supply with pumping. There are also plenty of moms who find that daytime pumping at work is not enough, and they have to do additional pumping outside of work hours to keep up supply.

with the PP. I know it's really daunting to be facing such a frequent pumping schedule. But if you want to keep supply about equal to demand, you have to start with the mindset that you're going to pump at least as often as the babies generally eat. Dropping a pump session is something that is not possible for all women. The ones who can do it tend to be the ones with oversupply, or who simply have a large storage capacity (meaning that a decrease in demand frequency does not immediately trigger a decrease in supply). It's probably more common for moms to need to add pump sessions as time goes on, in order to meet their baby's demand... But that's a bridge you cross when and if you come to it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I've been freezing in addition to breastfeeding and pumping. Ideally the frozen supply won't be used until I'm done pumping/feeding - hopefully after at least 6 months. I'd like to be a day ahead every day with pumping. I'm doing a "dry" run - no pun intended - before I go back to work to see how many ounces I pump in a day and if its enough to be ahead. I'm just wondering how long I will be able to keep up a 3:30am pump session in addition to working full time!

Are you pulling bags of the stored milk, and checking for taste issues? Lipase can wreck a freezer stash.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We've used some of the freezer stash already when I had surgery and it was fine. That was about a month ago. I guess we could check one again this week to make sure it's ok. How would I know if its gone bad?

Baby won't drink it if it's bad. Also, soapy taste/smell.

Well they drank it when I was unable to provide milk due to surgery...

Lipase can come and go, so not a bad idea to check from time to time if you haven't recently.

i think *most* people don't have any lipase issues, but it can be devastating to find that your whole freezer stash is undrinkable!

but yeah, the PPs' advice about pumping is right on. lots of people have to boost their supply (ie add a pump) somewhere in the 8-10 month range, because it just gets harder over time. partly depends on your goals, your workload, etc. and come on back for support & advice as you start work!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.