Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month, spit up, reflux, poor sleep question...

Default 3 month, spit up, reflux, poor sleep question...

Hi everyone! I EBF my daughter, who turned 3 months on June 2. She has done really well nursing and generally I have had no complaints. But she has turned into a sleep monster!! She's never slept all that well, although she has had random nights of 5-6 hr stretch. Most nights I am happy when she does 2-3 hr stretches which means sometimes she wakes more frequently. But the hardest is when she just needs a long time rocking ...I've not been getting much sleep. Anyway, the real culprit is her naps; she usually only stays down 20 minutes. I have a toddler so I can't hold her quietly for every nap, but when we do have the opportunity she will often sleep a good 2 hr.
    we've been trying to do better about not letting her get overtired and make sure she has a good routine. We have moved across the country....not very routine conducive...

Anyway. Part 2: she also started spitting up more around 6-8 weeks. Generally I'm not concerned with this; she is a happy growing baby. She has had congestion in the last couple weeks too. Sometimes but not always this is disrupting her sleep. In reading various sources, I read that these 2 symptoms as well as poor sleep could indicate reflux...But like I said she seems happy when she is not tired.

I mostly want to rule out reflux as a possibility...or see if treating it could help us all. I don't expect "STTN" at this point, but I do need her to learn to nap better so she is not up half the night.

Since she didn't start spitting up much until almost 2 months, I don't think dairy is the problem. She does seem to more if I have caffeine (and I could not have caffeine while pregnant, it made me woozy).

Cosleeping isn't the answer, partly because of naps, and partly because if we co sleep all night she still gets fussy from gas and spit up and I usually have to walk her to calm her down anyway.

Sorry this is so long
    Mother to Seth, born 4/1/11: 5 lb. 13 oz.
    5/2/11 - 8 lb 12 oz. 6/1/11 - 11 lb 12 oz.
    7/1/11 - 14 lb *unofficial* 8/1/11 - 16 lb 3 oz
    10/3/11 - 18 lb

Good job, growing boy!

Weaned from a nipple shield in late July!!!

Default Re: 3 month, spit up, reflux, poor sleep question...

Dr. Sears has a good article on reflux. Look at www.askdrsears.com

Have you ruled out forceful letdown/overproduction?

I really would not wory about establishing a sleep routine at this young an age. Can you wear baby? This may help baby sleep longer. Can you all sleep during your toddlers naptime?

I know you said co-sleeping does not work for you, but just in case you want to revisit the idea- it is pretty normal for a baby to sleep best when held by or next to mom. And usually the frequent nursing sessions encouraged by this closeness are helpful for both reflux and forceful letdown.

Thanks for your reply.

I know in my mommy heart that she is not sleeping well. I'm not expecting crazy results. Naps is the biggest thing that needs help..she will wake up from her nap but if I let her be awake, act vey tired.

I do generally have OALT/OS.

We actually co-sleep part of the night. Every morning around 4-5 am she comes o bed with me...when the birds start singing. So I know exactly how she sleeps. She is often restless and it usually causes her to spit up more for lack of burping. My babies do this...if I don't burp them they spit up, but if I do, I can't just lay them down again, even next to me; they won't just go to sleep, even by nursing once we do this.

I wear her often...it used to be almost every day. We just moved so things have been a little different. I know this does not help. And no, she did not really start sleeping worse with the move; she was like this beforehand. I do not have the stamina to wear her the entire day of napping. And now she hasn't been sleeping as long worn because she gets woken up by the activity and won't go back to sleep but like i said still acts tired and crabby.

I mostly wanted to feel out if reflux could be an additional issue to deal with, but since she's a happy baby, that seems doubtful.

Her stuffy/congested nose was a concern to me that I thought might be pointing to reflux. Now that I've been at my parents a couple days, she has had a clear nose now for about 24 hr. so maybe it is cat allergies or something related to cats like I thought. (We don't have cats but the previous tenants did and the basement still smells like it.) we'll see.
    Mother to Seth, born 4/1/11: 5 lb. 13 oz.
    5/2/11 - 8 lb 12 oz. 6/1/11 - 11 lb 12 oz.
    7/1/11 - 14 lb *unofficial* 8/1/11 - 16 lb 3 oz
    10/3/11 - 18 lb

Good job, growing boy!

Weaned from a nipple shield in late July!!!

Do you have a swing or stroller? My kids napped in one of those2 places until they were into their second years.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yes I never thought a stuffy nose was a very reliable reflux sign. It usually means- a stuffy, irritated nose. Which would also cause sleep disturbance.

I had overproduction with all three babies and one really needed to be burped after nursing (he was also my 'clicker' )here is what I did about burping at night- after baby nursed sidelying, I would stay lying on my side, and kind of prop/drape him over my 'top' side to burp him and give him some head above tummy time before laying him down again. I could dose off this way and baby would too.

His older brother was diagnosed with reflux (but I later thought he was just a high need baby, dealing with my overproduction and my lack of knowledge about babies!) Anyway, he really had to be more or less upright to sleep comfortably. So I often slept reclined, with my head and upper back propped on pillows and had him on my chest.

They were both fussy sleepers as babies (esp my oldest) and both spit up a ton. Both are very healthy and happy boys now who sleep great and have for years.

Did you find the reflux article? here is is- http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/par...-faq%E2%80%99s

If a baby truly has painful reflux, medication can help.

And of course the very best thing for painful reflux or any physical issues is that baby is breastfeeding. So you already have that covered!