Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Temporary Storage Question

Default Temporary Storage Question

So I had one of those mornings and forgot lids for the bottles I normally pump into. would putting the expressed milk into a cleaned out water bottle until I get home tonight be okay? I have a freezer stash if I have to dump what I pump today but I would like to avoid using it in case I ever have a dip in supply. By the end of the day I will have about 12 oz so i really don't want to have to trash it! There is no where local I can buy anything and I cant really leave work to get anything better.
    TIA

Default Re: Temporary Storage Question

I have purchased a bottle of water from a vending machine, poured the water into a cup and used the bottle for milk storage before. If there was something other than water in the bottle I would worry about the flavor or smell getting into the milk.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Thanks. It is a poland spring water bottle and I just opened a new one and poured the water into a mug. i am just not sure if the bottle is BPA free so I was nervous about it.

I wouldn't worry. This is a one-time thing, so even if the bottle is made out of solid BPA (which it probably isn't, since water bottles are usually softer and more flexible plastic, not rigid plastic), your baby would get a one-time exposure. Not a big deal. . But if you're worried, you could a) call Poland Spring and ask about their plastics, and b) save the milk for an emergency situation if you don't get an answer you like.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I did things like this a few times and after that ended up having a stash of storage bags at work which I needed many times when I forgot bottles or lids. I also had backup storage parts and I convinced a woman who stopped pumping to leave her pump at work in case I needed it in an emergency! You might want to create a pumping kit.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Same here - backup bag of storage bags in my desk. But for today, I think your water bottle idea is fine.

Im glad Im not the only one! I will be bringing spare parts/storage bags tomorrow so I don't have to go through this again! I sat here for a while trying to decide if it was better to have milk in the fridge overnight covered with saran wrap (The fridge is mine and no one uses it but it sometimes shuts off overnight) or use the water bottle so I am grateful for all of the quick replies.

I don't know how much you pump, but another thing I have done is put plastic wrap over the top of the bottle then screwed the pump valve back onto the bottle, holding the plastic wrap in place preventing spilling during the drive home. I used the Medela pump-in-style advanced and I could remove the valve part that protruded into the bottle from the part that screwed onto the bottle, making this possible.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.