Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rice Cereal to treat reflux?

Default Rice Cereal to treat reflux?

hi i was told by my pedi to put 1 tsp of rice cereal to 2 ounces of bm in a bottle to treat her reflux since im not willing to put her on medication. the pedi said its ok even though If she doesnt spit up in her sleep and seems happy generally is there really any need to introduce solids early??
    Im worried about screwing up her routine which is awesome. bedtime @ 8 sleeps til 3 then nurse then back to sleep til 8.

any opinions or advice is great! TIA!shes so young ( 8 weeks)
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Default Re: Rice Cereal to treat reflux?

IMHO reflux meds are much safer than putting cereal in a bottle. The idea is that the cereal is heavier than BM so it will hold down what would normally be "refluxed". I agree with you that it is too early to introduce cereal at this point. Her little digestive system is still too immature to handle it and you could end up with more problems.

DS was started on Zantac at 6 wks old and is now on Prevacid. He's had no problems with either of the medications and is a much more comfortable/happier baby b/c of them. If your LO just has a mild case of reflux that doesn't bother her often then I agree that medicating isn't necessary, but if she's uncomfortable or in pain, and loses sleep over it I would think about reconsidering your stance. The meds are very safe, widely used and can make your life (and your LO's) so much better.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I really hesitated to start meds with my DS when he was diagnosed with reflux. But when I finally caved and started giving him the Zantac, he was so much better, smiling and happy and SLEEPING. I felt guilty for putting it off - it really made such a difference for him.

Its ok to seak out a 2nd oppion about reflux.
    Some doctors know very little about it.

I would suggest doing a lot of reading and asking around before trying this. There are so many options that have much more merit than adding cereal to the bottle. This is a fantastic resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

My LO is also on zantax and was wondering.... do you have a tough time giving it to your LO? My little girlie screams and sounds like she's chocking on the stuff. After all said and done she is a happy little girl, but how do I make giving the medication a happy time? Hoping for some insite.

Quote Originally Posted by jessm View Post
    My LO is also on zantax and was wondering.... do you have a tough time giving it to your LO? My little girlie screams and sounds like she's chocking on the stuff. After all said and done she is a happy little girl, but how do I make giving the medication a happy time? Hoping for some insite.
    Do you have that terrible mint flavored Zantac? DS hated that. We finally found a compounding pharmacy that was able to make it with a grape-bubblegum flavor that DS liked. If you have it compounded you also get to avoid the added alcohol.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001