Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lecithin

Default Lecithin

I have heard/read that taking soy lecithin can help with milk flow, for example in women who have recurrent problems with blocked ducts. I can't eat soy products right now, but I'm having problems with the same duct getting plugged and backing up all the way to my upper chest. Does anyone happen to know if sunflower lecithin has the same effect? Or if there are any other types of lecithin that do? What is it about soy lecithin that helps?

Thanks!

Default Re: Lecithin

Hi satin.mama, I think it's the lecithin, doesn't matter what the source is. It may help change the viscosity of the milk. Here's some more information: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/. I'm taking lecithin right now for recurrent plugged ducts. Dealing with a nasty one right now and took an extra capsule last night and ended up leaking out of that breast all night long! Which I think was actually helpful, the plug is improving (though not completely gone yet).

I've also heard that egg yolk is a good source of lecithin, so you might try that--just cook the egg so that the yellow part is still runny.

Also, make sure you are doing massage (yes, the kind that hurts, unfortunately). My LLL leader here recommended using an electric toothbrush or other vibrating device to help work it out. I tried this a few weeks ago and it surprisingly worked. The other key is constant heat. If you can walk/sit around with a big heat pack in your bra all day then great. Just don't get it too hot or you will burn your skin! I read on another post somewhere on this forum, can't remember where, that one mama took a hot bath, submerged, and massaged, and this helped work out the plugs.

I get plugs all the time in one breast but not the other, and it seems that it happens more when I wear a tight-fitting bra, so make sure you are wearing loose-fitting clothes. A big stretchy bra would be great, and it would also accommodate the extra bulk of a heating pad. The only downside is less support and looking "saggy", but it's worth the comfort.
    Last edited by @llli*andie613; June 13th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Andie

born 6/13/2012

~First-time Mama~
    and now finished with

Thank you ladies!

Unfortunately I'm allergic to eggs. I have a lot of these dietary restrictions right now - egg, dairy, soy, and gluten.

That was me who posted previously about submerging and massaging in a hot bath! This time that didn't even work though. I sent my husband out at 9:30 PM for a cabbage and did the cabbage leaf thing, and all the other tricks I knew of, and overnight the baby must have sucked the plug out. I didn't notice at the time, but the blockage was gone in the morning, and my nipple hole was enlarged so that it hurts when she latches on - but last time that healed within about a week.

So it sounds like sunflower lecithin might do it too. However, it has only been twice so far, and two months apart, so I might just keep a close watch on that pesky duct for now!

Thanks again!

Glad to hear it's cleared up! Also thanks for the tips about the bath; haven't had to try it yet but it's on the list of things to do next time a problem plug presents itself. Hope the sunflower lecithin works out for you.
    Andie

born 6/13/2012

~First-time Mama~
    and now finished with

Thanks Andie! I hope the gravity/hot water submerged/massage works for you next time!