Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When should I start pumping?

Default When should I start pumping?

Here's a little back story first: I'm a SAHM of an almost 2 year old DD and a 10 day old DS. I don't NEED to have a supply of milk stashed in my freezer, but I would like to just in case I end up needing it. I worked until recently and had a terrible time pumping for my DD, which I think is why she eventually refused to nurse at 8 months old. I would pump at work every 2 hours or every 2 hours I was away from her but I would only get about an ounce each time. I also didn't start pumping until about she was about 3 months old.

So my actual question is this: When is the best time to start pumping so that I can actually get a decent stash? Is any time better or worse than another?
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

Default Re: When should I start pumping?

Hi mama, I'm not sure why you need to pump at all? Since, if I understand correctly, you will be staying home with your little ones? In any case, if you do decide to pump it may be best to wait. You are still in the very early days. Many mothers have some degree of oversupply at the beginning (nature's way of making sure baby has enough), and that can be worsened by pumping. Plus, taking care of a newborn is enough work without adding in the hassle of extra pumping! And I'm guessing you are not going to be separated from baby any time soon? When baby is older, if a separation is anticipated, then you can pump at that point.

What she said! You definitely don't want to pump now, at just 10 days in. And you may not need to pump at all, provided you aren't anticipating any long separations from baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think you are concerned that you will unexpectedly have to go back to work, and you will not be able to pump enough because that was your previous experience- do I have that right?

In that case, I suggest think about balancing the likelyhood of that happening with the potential issues pumping would cause.

Generally, I would suggest holding off on pumping for at least another month. If at that point, breastfeeding is going well, you could start pumping if you want, but I would suggest keep it to once a day at most.
    Without knowing more of the history, I have no idea what happened with your older child and pumping. But there are many reasons a mother might not be able to pump 'enough' when back at work. But waiting until baby is older to start pumping would not normally cause an issue.

Generally the best way to ensure fewer issues when back to work is to make sure breastfeeding is going great before returning to work, and, barring some unusual issue, the best way to ensure that is to nurse baby very frequently by allowing baby to cue feed and comfort feed, and holding off on pacifiers and any uneeded bottles and even pumping as long as you can.

I don't specifically anticipate needing to have a supply of pumped milk, but on the off-chance I do need it I don't want to be unprepared. So, yes, if I unexpectedly have to return to the work force or, heaven forbid, I need to have a surgery or take medications for some reason that aren't safe during breastfeeding then I want to have something saved up so we don't have to introduce formula.

We are definitely waiting to introduce a pacifier, if we even introduce one at all. I was kind of expecting to be advised to wait on pumping, but I wanted to hear it from the pros!

Thank you ladies for the advice - it's what I needed to reinforce what I thought I already knew. I'll continue nursing on demand and wait a while to pump at all.
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.