Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help, lump and biopsy

Default Help, lump and biopsy

I discovered a lump 3 weeks ago and had an u/s today. They ruled out galactocele. They basically told me I have to wean my daughter asap in order to do a core biopsy. Has anyone had experience with this? Of course if the lump is malignant I will wean but what if it's nothing? I don't know what to do, the doctor is not willing to do a core biopsy on lactating women.
    Also, they said it may be a lactating adenoma, has anyone had this? If so I thought it was supposed to be painless mine is painful.
    My lo is almost 10 months.

Default Re: Help, lump and biopsy

Untrue! We have several moms here who have continued to nurse during and after biopsies and other surgical procedures. Find another doctor, if possible, and/or push the issue with your current doctor. Tell him/her that you want to discuss the risks of a biopsy while lactating, and then, when up have a good sense of exactly what they are, you might consider temporarily weaning from the breast that needs to be biopsied if the risks are, in your estimation, great enough.

Really sorry you're going through this, mama. Hopefully it is nothing! The last 2 mamas who had your situation ended up with lumps that were totally benign.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Really sorry to hear, mama! I had a lump when my LO was about 2 months. The Dr did an ultrasound and wanted to do a biopsy--she did it in the office the same visit and did not think it was a problem that it was on a lactating breast. In fact, she said one of the main risks was that milk would leak out the biopsy site until the wound healed (which it did, for about 3 weeks, then finally stopped as hole healed). In my case, the Dr inserted a needle with a big plastic handle, would press a button that made a loud popping sound, taking about 5 samples of skin. It turned out to be a galactocele, which she thought it was anyway because before the biopsy she aspirated it and a bunch of thick milk came out. I second mommal's advice--find a Dr who is willing to do a biopsy without weaning because it is totally doable! Good luck!

You might want to check out this thread: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ghlight=Biopsy
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Had core biopsy done today by a very experienced physician. Very nervous about pumping/breastfeeding. I don't know what the chances of milk leaking out would be. They said I had to wait 6 hours to pump. But I am so engorged. Nervous about the results. Abscess or benign or malignant tumor. Trying to be optimistic.

This must have been a rotten day for you, mama! If you're so engorged that you're severely uncomfortable, call the doc and ask about pumping before the 6 hour deadline. I can't help but think that it's better to treat the engorgement than let it continue to worsen!

Benign! I have an abscess though and they don't want to treat it. They said it will go away on its own. Any one have experience with abscess?

Hmmm....I'm a surgeon who operates on the breast often. Breast abscesses are not uncommon in women who are breast feeding, but I'd like to know more about "they don't want to treat it." Meaning they don't want to give you antibiotics? If that is the case, I think that is reasonable, especially if it's been aspirated to dry (no more fluid) and you don't have any redness, pain, fever, fatigue. I'd agree with that plan. But are they going to recheck another ultrasound to make sure it's gone away? It's common for them to recur, especially when you don't have a big operation. Overall, I'm in favor of aspiration rather than operation, but it means that you should repeat the ultrasound to document that it's gone, or reaspirate it if it hasn't.

Also, I wish I could shout this from the rooftops. EMPTYING THE BREAST IS GOOD FOR BREAST INFECTIONS. There is good data to show that it reduces length and severity of breast infections. You may get a milk leak, which is a little bit of a pain, but breastfeeding will help you get better faster. You should NOT have been told to wait 6 hours; if you were given something that shouldn't have been passed on to baby, you should have been instructed to pump and dump.

And, I'm very happy that this is not cancer.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Thank you thank you for your response blue2000. They want to leave everything alone for now no re attempt at aspirating, no antibiotics They aspirated only a tiny bit of pus and blood before the biopsy. My ultrasound showed aspects of both a malignancy and abscess, which prompted them to do a core needle Biopsy since they assumed they were dealing with a solid mass. I did not have the typical symptoms of an abscess. Going in 2 weeks for another ultrasound. All I have to deal with now is major bruising and a daughter who doesn't really want to nurse from the side that was biopsied

bump