Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ow! Not sure what this is

Default Ow! Not sure what this is

So over the past few days, I've been getting gradually worse pain in my left side when nursing. Here's the gist:
    --pain that's causing me to jump, wince and grit my teeth until I can switch her to the other side.
    --don't feel like i have a fever
    --had some random twinges of wooziness the other day. Don't know if it could be connected.
    --no redness. nothing feels swollen or blocked or engorged.
    --the pain is mostly only while I'm nursing. Maybe a little after, too.

For the past few weeks, we've been weaning so at first I thought maybe it hurt due to losing my milk or something. But since it's gotten worse, I'm wondering if it's something else. I looked up the symptoms of plugged ducts and mastitis on kellymom and the only real symptom I seem to have is the pain. Any ideas what this is?

Default Re: Ow! Not sure what this is

Have you noticed any other changes in the skin of the nipple or breast? Any signs of a yeast infection in you or the baby? After nursing, do you see something that looks like a white or yellowish dot on the surface of the nipple?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I really haven't noticed any changes. And it basically looks the same as the other side. When you say yeast infection, do you mean in the diaper area or elsewhere? She does have a slight diaper rash.

Oddly, she's also spit up a few times the past few days. Not vomiting, but spit up like when she was a little little baby. Don't know if that is of any significance or not.

Yeast infection in the baby's diaper area or mouth, or vaginal yeast in mom is often a tip-off that thrush is causing the nursing pain.

Is pregnancy possible? (I'm grasping at straws here, because pregnancy would probably make you sore on both sides!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I really, really, really don't think so.

The other thing is that this isn't so much an aching, sore feeling as it is a sharp, stabbing pain. I haven't seen anything that I thought was yeasty, definitely not in her mouth although I didn't look that closely. I can check tomorrow when she wakes up. I guess I'm not sure what to do. I've been working on weaning (mostly nursing before bed, in the morning and once in the afternoon), but I know that everything I read about pain says to keep nursing. I'm just really confused as I don't know what's causing it and i'm not sure what to do.

I should also add that she is on antibiotics as she had her third surgery last week, so I guess it's possible that she might have a yeast infection that I just don't know about. The doctor said we could also discontinue the antib at this point, so I'm wondering if discontinuing would help if that is indeed hte problem.
    Last edited by @llli*tallmadre; June 10th, 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Since it's such a sharp, stabbing pain, and is only on one side, I'm thinking that this is most probably a bleb. They can be small, and sometimes very difficult to locate on the nipple surface, particularly when they have already broken and milk isn't backing up behind them (something which makes them more visible).

This link gives more info: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Well, the pain has migrated over to my right side as well. It's not as severe as my left, which is just too painful to nurse from without crying at this point, but it's definitely there.

I called her ped this morning because I was concerned about what I would need to do for D if it was thrush and she said that she didn't think it was thrush because I'm not itching. She suggested I call my OB/GYN's office, which I did. The NP from my doc's office said that the pain I was describing, coupled with the fact that it is now on both sides sounds like thrush and that the reason it hasn't been itchy could be due to the fact that it's in the lactiferous ducts and not on the surface of the nipple. She wrote me a scrip for an anti-fungal. Hopefully, this will mostly take care of it.

In that case, make sure you treat the baby, too! Otherwise you're just going to end up passing the yeast back and forth.