Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated with engorgement, plugged ducts, leaking

Default Frustrated with engorgement, plugged ducts, leaking

Hi mamas,
    LO is now 15 months. I pump weaned at a year. I’ve always had a robust supply and, I think, a supply that’s very sensitive to stimulation. So my current issue is this: during the week, I’m not pumping or nursing during the day while I’m at work. On the weekends, I nurse on demand. My supply immediately ramps up, and I spend the weekdays engorged and leaking, and I’ve had many plugged ducts since pump weaning, with only 1 plugged duct prior to pump weaning. Things calm down by the weekend – only to start the cycle anew! Sigh. Logic would dictate nursing less on the weekend but that would be sort of a “don’t offer don’t refuse” scenario, or even a flat-out “refuse if she demands,” which seems like a road to weaning, which is not what I’m trying to do right now. On the other hand, I’m frustrated with the pain, leaking etc. And I definitely don’t want to take up pumping again. Suggestions?

Default Re: Frustrated with engorgement, plugged ducts, leaking

I must admit that my first thought was that you should take the pump to work. I honestly think it's a good idea- you don't have to maintain a disciplined pump schedule like you probably did when your baby was less than a year, but if you get too uncomfortable then the pump is there to relieve you. Alternately, how about hand expression? It's supposed to be less stimulating to supply than pumping.

As a last resort, maybe take some Sudafed on Mondays, and see if that knocks your supply down a notch?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Frustrated with engorgement, plugged ducts, leaking

Thanks mommal. I actually do have the pump at work, but I haven't used it. The plugged ducts are what bother me most. Just spent the last hour and a half doing all the usual plugged duct gymnastics and the darn thing is still there and still hurting! Maybe I should have pumped today when I knew the plug was there. The thing I worry about pumping is that it's just going to make things worse. And hand expressing at work just seems kind of...messy. I do it at home but the milk goes spraying everywhere! The Sudafed on Mondays is an interesting thought.... Or maybe some sage tea. I took claritin when I was nursing my second baby and it had a dramatic effect on my supply (even though antihistamines aren't supposed to, I think) so I'm a little leery of the sudafed, but I guess even if my supply goes down it should come bouncing back!