Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding and spit up

Default breastfeeding and spit up

I am the mommy of a beautiful 3 month old baby girl and lately i have been noticing that when i feed her from the breast, that she spits up a lot after the feeding. My husband, who is with her during the day when im at work, says that when he gives her a bottle, she hardly spits up at all. I dont understand why this is happening or maybe it could just be my imagination?... has this happened to anyone else?

She did have colic and reflux, but i wouldnt think that would have anything to do with it means she is fine when eating from a bottle.

Is there something im doing wrong ro something i can do to fix/prevent this?

Default Re: breastfeeding and spit up

Welcome to the forum!

Spit-up is a normal and natural part of being a baby. It's not really related to anything you're doing/not doing- it's just that the muscular sphincters which keep stomach contents down are naturally weak in young babies. Like all of a baby's other muscles, these sphincters will strengthen in time. Most babies are spit-up free by their first birthdays, and spit-up usually greatly diminishes by the time a baby can sit up. More time sitting up instead of lying down means that gravity helps out in keeping tummy contents down where they belong.

Why your baby seems to spit up more when nursing as opposed to bottle-feeding... It could just be your imagination. It could be that your baby is so eager to nurse and reconnect with you that she eats more than she's really hungry for, or eats faster than she otherwise would. It could be the position baby is in- maybe your husband keeps her more upright after feedings? That's something which can decrease spit-ups, again, because of the assistance of gravity. Maybe it's the time of day- some babies spit more at certain times. It could be that you have a lot of milk (?) and your baby is getting faster flow from you than she does from the bottle.

Whatever the reason, this just shouldn't be a major concern for you. Spit-up that occurs in the absence of pain or poor growth- that's a laundry problem, not a health problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My LO is 4 months and spits up constantly! We've found little things that help . . . like not putting her on her tummy after she eats, making sure when she's in a sitting position that her diaper is not pressing into her tummy too tightly etc. Mommal is right, spitting up is totally normal.
    Life is Beautiful.

Thanks so much! I tend to over worry about things sometimes... and i didn't remember my older daughter (4 in july) spitting up this much... but I dont have the best memory with somethings! Thanks for all the information, i appreciate it!