Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids before age 1:

Default Solids before age 1:

So, as far as I can tell, as of early 2012, the AAP indicated that most solids were considered okay for introducing at 6 months, based on the lack of evidence that highly allergenic foods being delayed actually decreased allergic reactions in kids with no family history of food allergies.

That said, there are some substances withheld until age 1 for reasons other than allergies. Like honey, because of botulism concerns. And no cow's milk. No added salt or sugars. What else am I forgetting? My BLS baby has become quite the food snatcher these days!

Default Re: Solids before age 1:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    So, as far as I can tell, as of early 2012, the AAP indicated that most solids were considered okay for introducing at 6 months, based on the lack of evidence that highly allergenic foods being delayed actually decreased allergic reactions in kids with no family history of food allergies.

That said, there are some substances withheld until age 1 for reasons other than allergies. Like honey, because of botulism concerns. And no cow's milk. No added salt or sugars. What else am I forgetting? My BLS baby has become quite the food snatcher these days!
    I read this today
    http://paleoparents.com/2013/guest-p...ds-for-babies/
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Nuts, hot dogs, and whole grapes- they're all choking hazards.

I personally would avoid egg whites, shellfish, and peanuts until over a year. IDK if there is a consensus recommendation about those foods, but IMO it makes sense to wait until a year due to the potential severity of the allergic reaction if it does occur. If your LO has a dairy allergy, it's unlikely to be anaphylactic. A peanut allergy, on the other hand...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes, yes, the choking hazards are for sure far away from my plate these days!

Mostly I was just brainstorming about what, if anything, I eat that she could steal that I would have to steal back. There are absolutely zero food allergies in both my family and my husband's family, but I am still a bit gunshy about the egg whites and shellfish myself, both of which I do eat a good bit of. The nuts, I figure, are sort of automatically off the table for a while on account of the choking.

Egg whites, shellfish and nuts are the things I've stayed away from as well.

I stayed away from nightshade vegetables for the most part until after 1, plus spinach and swiss chard, which are similar to nightshades. I had done a lot of reading from a variety of sources and decided to play it safe. Now she is a picky eater and won't eat many of those foods much anyway (occasionally some potatoes and tomato sauce).
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Some parents will also avoid strawberries (and similar berries with little seeds - like blackberries). But I think that's less likely/common (re allergies) than nuts, shellfish, etc.

DS has sensitive skin, so we avoided fruit that was high in citric acid since it can cause a mild skin reaction. This included all citrus, pineapple and most berries, except blueberries. When we did eat fresh strawberries we made sure to wipe his face and hands ASAP.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.