Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tiny newborn too sleepy...small mouth

Default Re: Tiny newborn too sleepy...small mouth

The pain might also be vasospasm, which is often mistaken for thrush: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes her poop is loose and seedy and yellow now. I just pumped out close to 20ml, so it's def getting more. I was given penicillin because of GBS and I am taking a probiotic along with Mothers Milk and Go Lacta. We go to the doctor tomorrow, but we are going back to the LC this afternoon to weigh her with her on her scale. I want a plan in case the weight hasn't gone up much and the doctor wants us to do something. I have 2 ounces of milk stored now in the fridge, so I shouldn't need to give her any formula. I have been walking around topless as much as I can during the day, but family and in laws in the evening don't allow that. My nipples aren't white so I don't think it's vapospasm, but I'll keep it in mind. Thank you for all the advice and help....really appreciate it!

I wore very loose fittting pajama tops in the early days when I had visitors and was worried about my nipples staying thrush-free. I was also GBS positive and on antibiotics for delivery, so I was really vigilant when I had minor scabbing in the early days. Definitely at least try to skip the bras. (Honestly, I never did start wearing a bra again, and my LO is 7 months old now.)

Easier said than done! My size is a 36D so I feel like I need the support. I just use nursing bras and just open them up. I've been using my husbands button down shirts since mine don't fit yet, but I do need to get some loose pajamas. Thanks for the tips!

It might be worth it to go ahead and invest in some nursing tops you can wear like a shirt and open the flaps to nurse or when you have the opportunity to air out. They aren't necessary for a nursing mom by any stretch of the imagination, but they can come in handy. Maybe in your case it would make life easier to be able to quickly pull the flap up/down and look 'dressed'. The camis are super easy to use and can be cute for just hanging around (plus some of them provide some support; like a sports bra sort of).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We just took her to LC for a weight check and it was 4 6.6oz. Her weight on Tuesday was 4 3.9oz so she gained a little more than 2.5oz since then. Is that good? She is 5 days old today...born Saturday afternoon.

So, over 2.5 ounces gain in about 48 hours? Yes I would certainly call that good gain-an ounce a day is generally considered good weight gain and often it takes about a week to get to that kind of gain. This also indicates that weight loss stopped and gain began at right around day 3, so that is very normal and exactly what your experience with how your breasts were feeling and baby's poops were looking would indicate. In other words, it is good, and I am not at all surprised. What did the LC think?

Also remember, when you see the pediatrician tomorrow, assuming the pediatrician and the LC are using different scales, that might throw weight checks off.

Thank you very much for that reassurance! I am so happy she is doing good. She isn't nursing for as long anymore and falls asleep faster. Could this be because my flow is faster or something else? I nurse her whenever she roots and opens her mouth and sometimes it is for 5 minutes and 25 the next. I've tried stripping her down and it works some times and not so well at other times. I'm still pumping but wondering if the shorter nursing times will effect my supply. I'm over thinking this aren't I? Sigh....

I'm over thinking this aren't I? Sigh
    Probably, but it is certainly understandable!

Just try to make sure baby nurses a minimum of 10 times a day. More often is fine. Frequent nursing sessions is very important. How long each nursing session is is less important. They will normally vary in length.

If a feeding session seems really short and you are worried, you can try to encourage longer sessions by switching sides or doing breast compressions.

But given the good news on weight gain, I would take the shorter sessions as a good sign, that baby is getting the milk faster and does not need to nurse so long.

How are your nipples, mama? How's the pain?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"