Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tiny newborn too sleepy...small mouth

Default Re: Tiny newborn too sleepy...small mouth

So far she has had 9 dirty diapers with 6 poop and 3 wet ones....is that good? I have been nursing on demand which today has been every hour since this am...is that good? A nurse just told me to nurse every 2 hours so not sure. My nipples aren't cracked but holy hell her latch hurts. I try to unlatch her and try again but it still hurts. The pain gets better after a few minutes but it just be me getting used to it...is that normal? I read that it should not hurt at all but not sure if pain in the beginning is okay or not. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully seeing a LC tomorrow.

Also her weight dropped to 4 lbs 7 oz.

Diaper output sounds good. Has baby passed all her meconium yet?

Nursing frequency is totally normal. I'd like to swat that nurse who said baby should only nurse every 2 hours- who knows how many breastfeeding relationships she has derailed with her "helpful" advice.

Some pain in the early days is normal. But the pain should not persist throughout the feeding, be so great that it makes you cry or scream, or result in damage to the nipple. If you're blistered, bleeding, or cracking, please seek help from a LC IMMEDIATELY. This is especially true for moms of small babies- a small mouth can have great difficulty latching onto a large (relative to the baby) breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No cracks or blisters...I've been using mothers love cream and going topless. Not attractive but who cares! I do have very sore nipples though and I am trying to fix her latch. It's getting better but sometimes my nipples come out looking flat and pinched. Ready for my milk to come in so she can gain some weight.

Oh and no she hasn't passed all meconium yet.

How old exactly is baby now? Three days? three and a half?

The amount of output sounds good. By day 3 of life you want to see a minimum of three 'scoopable' poops a day. Enough that you could scoop it up with a teaspoon. It can take a few days to pass "all" merconium. If you see the poop beginning to transition in consistency and/or color, that is a good sign. But just the amount baby is pooping is very good.

Some weight loss after baby is born is totally normal. Especially if you had any IV fluids before or during labor. Plus (presumably) baby was weighed on two different scales-delivery and nursery, which may make a difference. Of course with a baby this tiny weight loss and gain have to be watched very carefully but in a general sense, this is normal.

No cracks or blisters...I've been using mothers love cream and going topless. Not attractive but who cares! I do have very sore nipples though and I am trying to fix her latch. It's getting better but sometimes my nipples come out looking flat and pinched. Ready for my milk to come in so she can gain some weight.
    This sounds as if latch is improving, but of course I agree with mommal, hands on assistance with an IBCLC is very important, both for the pain and to make sure baby is nursing effectively.
    Your milk should start becoming more abundant basically by day 3 or 4. Anything later than that would be considered 'delayed.' But many moms (myself included) experienced delayed lactogenesis and went on the nurse baby just fine. So don’t stress. Keep doing what you are doing, and don't be afraid to try a little hand expression as well.

Her weight is now 4 lbs 4 oz. My milk has come in and she is nursing a lot. She cluster feeds from 11-2am and pretty much every time she wakes or every hour. I rarely have to wake her to feed as she is always rooting around. We are seeing an LCD today, so hoping she can help with latch. My skin is dry and chapping, but not much cracking. Some scabs on one but I am putting my milk on it and letting it air out. My breasts tingle now every few minutes...is that normal? Do I need to do anything else to increase supply to get her weight up? Should I pump also? She didn't poop or pee for 20 hours until early this morning and had a large meconium poop again. Doctor is concerned about her weight so have to come back on Friday to check it.

Since your milk JUST came in, I think I would want to give baby a couple of days to gain weight before thinking about pumping or supplementing. And if you're going to do either one of those things, do it with guidance from the LC- you'd want to be supplementing with appropriate amounts, in a way that is supportive of breastfeeding, and not pumping so much that you land in an oversupply situation.

I know it must be so hard to embrace patience when you have such a tiny baby!

Did you or baby have a recent course of antibiotics? The dry, chapped skin makes me think about thrush.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My milk has come in and she is nursing a lot. She cluster feeds from 11-2am and pretty much every time she wakes or every hour. I rarely have to wake her to feed as she is always rooting around.
    this all sounds normal and good!

I think if your baby's doctor allowed baby to leave the hospital and not get weighed again for several days he is concerned, as would be appropriate, but not alarmed. So I do not see any need to supplement at this point, especially since your baby's doctor does not. Doctors do not tend to hold off on suggesting needed supplementation.

Scabs may indicate healing. Scabbing may be a very good sign.

Thrush is a possibility but chapping and dryness could also indicate a need for more frequent application of nipple cream or a change of nipple cream type. I know pp suggested simply using breastmilk, and that definitely has healing properties. Also a good barrier cream like purified lanolin often is helpful in promoting moist wound healing.

My breasts tingle now every few minutes...is that normal?
    Where is the tingling? Tingling in the milk ducts is a sign of growing milk production and/or milk ejection aka "letdown." So yes, that is normal.

What's an lcd?

Sorry meant LC. We met with her today and we did a weighted feed. The baby didn't take anything from me so she suggested I feed and then pump until my milk comes in more. The weight loss is a concern with such a small baby, and I pumped 6.5ml after feeding her which we fed her with a syringe. She also have me a shield for my right nipple and the pain was sooooo much better with it. She said to feed every 1.5-2 hours for 30 mins and then pump for 10-15 after and feed her what I get. I just pumped again and got 4 ml which she took gladly after nursing. I'm hoping that this makes my milk come in faster and that she can transfer it from me better so I can stop nursing. Does this advice sound okay?