Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby 5 weeks old....where'd my milk go?

Unhappy Baby 5 weeks old....where'd my milk go?

Hi, everyone! My LO is 5 weeks old, and prior to a couple of days ago, I had a pretty good milk supply. LO is or was gaining weight well and having plenty of wet and dirty diapers. She is my third breastfed baby, so I am very familiar with breastfeeding, however, I have never had my milk supply suddenly drop off out of no where. I haven't done anything different at all, same routine, nurse every one to two hours during the day and 3-4 hours at night. I was leaking all of the time, now..no leaking. I was choking her due to OALD (do not have oversupply, though), now...no choking, She is actually having to work for milk. Her wet diapers have went down some, too. She is not as wet at every diaper change as she was. I am just very concerned. I do not feel she is getting enough. My let downs aren't near as strong, and they are taking longer to occur, too. I know supply levels off to fit baby's need, but I have never experienced this big of a drop so soon or so sudden. I had to resort to using domperidone with my last LO, because my supply dropped at around 6 months due to plugged ducts and mastitis. I pumped and nursed a ton extra, tried all of the herbals to no avail. Never responded, so I tried domperidone and it helped get me through the final 6 months. I do not want to take it again.

She is not having a growth spurt, either. I dunno what is going on with me. This is so stressful and discouraging. I've been trying to add an extra pump session here and there, although that is extremely difficult due to demands of a two year old and five year old. Plus, this didn't help last time, either. I'm just at a loss.

Default Re: Baby 5 weeks old....where'd my milk go?

not feeling a letdown, not leaking, all of this is not a sign of disappearing milk. but it is rather early for the supply to adjust so dramatically. how many wets is she having a day? have you had her weighed recently? another weigh-in might be good just to check what she's done since her 4 week appt (assuming she had one). how do you know she's not having a growth spurt? it's prime time for that.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree with Auderey- But i am a little concerened you are only mentioning wets. i wonder, how often was/is baby pooping, and, has weight gain been normal?

Milk production does not just go away for no reason. Are you taking anything that might lower production? Were you block feeding due to the overproduction? Is there a chance your baby had a poor suck or latch and so baby has not been taking enough milk?

I suggest you read this article. Many of the things you are mentioning are totally normal and do not indicate low milk production. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

Have you possibly just started some form of hormonal contraception?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for all the replies! I am not or have not been taking any medication, not even a prenatal vitamin. Baby has no milk transfer issues, she latches well and has a strong suck.

Everything seems to be back to normal, now. Her wets are the same as they were and she's been pooping 5-6 times a day the past several days. I really think stress was the culprit! I was majorly stressed out for about a week prior to the decrease in supply. Once I noticed the decrease, I became even more stressed, lol. Now that the anxiety/stress has subsided, my milk is back to full supply. Really weird, I guess my body is just very sensitive to stress .

I will say, that she is just now hitting her six week growth spurt (she was six weeks on Monday). She has been fighting her sleep like crazy and has wanted to "snack" a lot the past couple of days. Can't get anything accomplished around the house, lol. This, too, shall pass

awesome! this is great news. no housework, just nursing! pick a book or tv show ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

That sounds good! So nice to hear the "this too shall pass"- I think that's what separates first-time moms from experienced ones. Knowing that whatever is driving you bonkers, it's only temporary!

I would definitely start taking a prenatal vitamin. Making milk can really drain you. And a prenatal can't hurt.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"