Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many nursing sessions should my 7mnth have?

Default How many nursing sessions should my 7mnth have?

Hi...my LD is 7 months old. Her weight is 8,550 kg and wets 5 diapers aprox. She is extremely healthy, and has been gining weight since her 3rd week. She nurses while i am around, I lose count...maybe 5-6 times a day...and has bottles of my pumped milk. At 6 months she started very good with solids. Sometimes she nurses at night some not. We semi cosleep; she starta the night sleeping in her cradle.If she cries I pick her up and she herself to sleep. Yesterday she slept from midnight till 7.30 am without waking up. Hence, she didn't nurse. I woke up earlier and wondered if I should put her on the breast or not...Finally, I pumped.

Am I doing fine? Thanks!!

Guadalupe
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12

Default Re: How many nursing sessions should my 7mnth have?

Hi mama, it sounds like you are doing fine! One thing you can do to make sure she doesn't fill herself too much on solids is to nurse before giving her solids. Before one solids are for learning about new tastes, textures and motor skills; breastmilk is the primary source of nutrition and you don't want solids replacing breastmilk because it's less nutritious. In terms of the 7.5 stretch at night - for a baby this age, as long as baby is getting enough overall (which it sounds like she is), it's fine to have a longer nighttime stretch. If you are worried or you feel like nursing or feel too full of course there is no harm in offering the breast when you wake up.

thanks!!
    I usually offer baby tittie before her solids.
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12

i would actually be a little more conservative than bfwmomof3 - i'd say nursing 5-6 times a day at 7 months is on the low side, and when you say that you "usually" offer nursing first that confirms it for me - nursing should ALWAYS come before solids, for at least anohter 3-4 months. i guess i'd just make an effort to increase the nursing a little bit.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

[QUOTE=@llli*lupejazz;1315784]I lose count...maybe 5-6 times a day...and has bottles of my pumped milk. /QUOTE]

I took this to mean that the total number of feeding sessions per day was more than 5-6 - maybe 7-8? I agree that 5-6 total in the day would be low. How many bottles/how much expressed milk is she getting during the day?