Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler Toys EVERYWHERE! ***for New Beginnings***

Default Toddler Toys EVERYWHERE! ***for New Beginnings***

Mamas with toddlers, your input is needed! What ideas do you have for this mother:

"My son’s second birthday party was wonderful, but toddlerhood seems to have arrived along with big plastic toys everywhere. Our house isn’t large and the toys are crowding us out! How do other mothers cope with this? How do you stay organized?"

Responses may also be sent to toddler.tips@lllusa.org and could appear in an upcoming issue of New Beginnings magazine. Your thoughts are what makes New Beginnings a great mother-to-mother support resource. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your ideas!

Default Re: Toddler Toys EVERYWHERE! ***for New Beginnings***

We have approached this pretty simply. We keep large toys to a minimum (and no LARGE toys in the house), and use baskets, ottomans and such to corral all of the toys. I regularly go through a toy basket and pull out items that DS has not been playing with, pack them up and then rotate toys out every couple of months. Honestly, if he had received too many toys at his birthday, we would have packed up a bunch so there would only be a small number out at a time. We are lucky to have family members that respect that we do not want toy overload, and that helps a lot. I have also used a cuppy storage unit with canvas bins in the boys room to keep things put up and "uncluttered" looking.

HTH!
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Rotate out the things that aren't being played with. When they come back, they'll seem fresh and exciting!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We do the rotation as well. Even though our families try to be "good" and not go overboard - we end up with WAY too much stuff for holidays and birthdays. The items that don't immediately interest my kids I put up in the top of my closet. They never even miss them. I save them for a rainy day or another special occasion, or rotate them out with toys they have gotten bored with.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Books are our favourite media, and our family seems to share our passion. We keep a running list of titles that my son enjoys for gifting occasions, which our friends and family find helpful.

Another way we minimize accumulated clutter is by gifting experiences-- trips to museums, parks, zoos, planetariums, etc. This approach has spawned more interests than I can keep track of.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alphawoman View Post
    Books are our favourite media, and our family seems to share our passion. We keep a running list of titles that my son enjoys for gifting occasions, which our friends and family find helpful.

Another way we minimize accumulated clutter is by gifting experiences-- trips to museums, parks, zoos, planetariums, etc. This approach has spawned more interests than I can keep track of.
    Great idea. We do this for holidays for DH and I, and occassionally for the older kids. But really, we could apply it to any age. I'm keeping that in my "file" for this year.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Thanks Ladies!

Anyone else?? Anyone ... Anyone ...

My daughter is much younger so we are not at this point yet but I plan to donate and pass on. I have many friends with children a little younger then my daughter and more with LOs on the way. I will save the things that I think are best for my second (and subsequent children) and give the rest away.