Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

Hey,

So I know I have tons of questions but I like to be safe and I over worry.

When my daughter first came home she would eat for going on an hour and after the first month and a half or so she slowed down to eating only for about 15-20 minutes. ( She takes one breast at a time but am not currently doing any kind of block feeding ) Now suddenly the last few days she eats only for 2-7 minutes on a boob. She does eat about every hour to hour and a half usually but it just seems such a small amount and I wanted to ask if this sounded normal and healthy for her to eat as such.

I am not bothered at all about her eating at a close interval ( I am home with her and feed on demand willingly ) but it wont hurt my supply that she eats for such very short times on one boob at a time, will it? I have an app that times her feeds and she spends about equal time on both throughout the day with slightly less on the left and under 2 hours a day total feeding time.

Default Re: Is this normal?

btw I think I totally forgot to say she is 11 weeks right now and has been healthy at all her checks so far, due for first set of shots and next check within the next month.

So her doctor is happy with her weight gain? If there aren't any concerns there, then nothing to worry about. It does sound like a normal feeding pattern.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Here doctor has been yes though I have no idea how this recent eating pattern has or could effect weight gain as it has been going on for only a few days. I guess I can just wait to see in the next month if her weight is still going up well. She has not seemed like she is unhappy or stressed more than her usually daily fussiness so as long as it is not something that would hurt my supply I guess I will not worry about it for now.

I know as they get older they become more efficient at extracting the milk from your breast. That, and the fact that she nurses so often, is a good indicator she's getting what she needs and your supply is good.

I agree, this sounds normal. How does your baby seem? Generally happy and content? Still enjoying nursing, eager to nurse, generally happy when done?

I wonder if your app may be causing undue worry. Years ago "timing' feeds at the breast (10 minutes left, 10 minutes right, that kind of thing) was all the rage, and so there is an old LLL saying "watch your baby, not the clock." I think a new saying may be "Watch your baby, not the app."

yeah that is very true. She has never been a very content kind of baby but she still seems her normal self if not slight better as we are going on 3 months now. She fusses at the breast sometimes but it was just such a decrease in time that it really shocked me. I suppose her eating so often though is her way of still getting what she needs and also being more efficient. She popped off today and when I went to push my breast to get the nipple back in, I had a spray so still thinking it must just be her way of dealing with the oald possibly since it is super often and such a short time each feed ( except right before bed still ). I am also assuming that the spray means I shouldn't worry about having milk in there. One day I will learn to not over worry so much.