Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early weaning? :*(

Default Early weaning? :*(

My baby is 6 months old. Obviously I realize she is not weaning, because I think that would be against her biology, since she has never had a bottle or paci or anything but me.

Here's the trouble, she has become less and less interested in nursing. In fact, now she rolls away from me most of the time when I offer to feed her. Her output is fine, 3 poops/day. I have her 6 month appt next week so I'll know about her weight then but so far it's been the high end of normal. She only eats when we are side lying. I feel like that puts a lot of limits on our relationship, and doing it only in the bedroom is even worse. Maybe she's sick of it?

I read the kellymom article "Do babies under 12 months self wean". I felt sick when I read the bottom, the don't offer don't refuse and limiting locations for nursing. My issue is that baby will only nurse well in my bedroom. Ever. Period. I've only ever followed her cues, I am positive about that but now she cues less and less and when she does she sucks to letdown and then pops off. I know she's teething...

So here is my question. Should I put in 100% effort to try to nurse her in other locations at this point? If she gets hungry enough will she eat? Or maybe she'll just reverse cycle and eat at night. I don't want it to end this way, but she's never loved nursing. I had oversupply, she has some allergies, it's been a little rough. I want to have a better relationship. I'm willing to ask my husband to take one of his vacation weeks so I can work on this with baby because I also take care of my 2 year old all day. I wonder if that would be worth it?

also posted this in the weaning forum
    and Mama to two little girls

Default Re: Early weaning? :*(

it could be several things, so please don't stress... as babies get older they are definitely more interested in 'fun' stuff... but alas she will continue to nurse as long as you continue to offer. don't make it a battle, or fight her, just offer when you think of it and I think you and she will find a new rhythm. I found that my son would stop by for quick sips throughout the day while playing....

I would not take the don't offer/don't refuse approach or limit locations with a babe under 1, as a matter of fact I didn't really do either of these until my son was 2. soooo...
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

hi karrieperry, it's really normal for babies this age to be distractible and less interested in nursing. Doesn't mean she's trying to wean or is otherwise unhappy with you, your nursing position, your milk, or anything else. I don't think it would hurt to try different positions/locations - since she's older now she may deal with the oversupply/letdown better than she did as a younger infant - but I also don't think you have to force the issue. You're not restricting nursing in any way, you've simply adapted to what baby has demanded of you. And maybe she's not demanding that anymore, so you can expand your nursing location repertoire! Also, keep in mind that as babies get older, they become very efficient nursers. Especially with oversupply/fast letdown, she may well be meeting her needs with a few minutes. Or, she may do as you say - nurse less during the day, more at night - again very typical for an older baby. Keep nursing. Offer frequently. Let her nurse when she wants, don't force it when she doesn't. You've dealt with a bunch of challenges and you're doing great!

I definitely offer more often than she accepts and never refuse, but I guess maybe I have it in my head that she will only nurse in one place so I have to stop what I'm doing and make a point to go in there. I think I'll just be accessible wherever and whenever for the next few days and see what happens.

Also I have always sort of thought these had to be meals, when I guess they don't, right? Snacks are fine I'm sure.

Snacks-not-meals is a totally normal pattern for babies. The need for small, frequent meals (a.k.a. snacks) is something that persists into toddlerhood and young childhood- you'll see when she's a toddler that you won't go anywhere without a pack of emergency crackers. And when she's in preschool/kindergarten/1st grade she'll still need at least one morning snack and one afternoon snack in order to get through the day.

Oh yes, snacks are absolutely fine! That may actually be a more physiological way of eating.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*karrieperry View Post
    I definitely offer more often than she accepts and never refuse, but I guess maybe I have it in my head that she will only nurse in one place so I have to stop what I'm doing and make a point to go in there. I think I'll just be accessible wherever and whenever for the next few days and see what happens.

Also I have always sort of thought these had to be meals, when I guess they don't, right? Snacks are fine I'm sure.
    Yes, keep trying. When either of you gets too frustrated, go back to what she likes, but try again the next time. I think most moms and babies have to experiment with positions regularly as the baby grows. I continue to try new things with my twins. I'm hopeful that someday we'll finally get comfortable tandem feeding.

And snacks are definitely fine. Even younger babies sometimes eat for 5 minutes in-between longer sessions.

Thank you all. Would you all agree that perhaps I should not begin solids for another month or so? I was planning on offering her a teaspoon or two next week. Obviously she would have to choose the breast when there is no other option, and I'm guessing I should keep the solids to an absolute minimum since we're trying to work on our relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    hi karrieperry, it's really normal for babies this age to be distractible and less interested in nursing. Doesn't mean she's trying to wean or is otherwise unhappy with you, your nursing position, your milk, or anything else. I don't think it would hurt to try different positions/locations - since she's older now she may deal with the oversupply/letdown better than she did as a younger infant - but I also don't think you have to force the issue. You're not restricting nursing in any way, you've simply adapted to what baby has demanded of you. And maybe she's not demanding that anymore, so you can expand your nursing location repertoire! Also, keep in mind that as babies get older, they become very efficient nursers. Especially with oversupply/fast letdown, she may well be meeting her needs with a few minutes. Or, she may do as you say - nurse less during the day, more at night - again very typical for an older baby. Keep nursing. Offer frequently. Let her nurse when she wants, don't force it when she doesn't. You've dealt with a bunch of challenges and you're doing great!
    Thank you, it sure hasn't been easy! And I never restrict her, I'd let her eat all day if she wanted to. Or not eat! It's so hard to know if things are going well because this is not at all what I expected. I thought babies just ate no problem after you establish a good latch. I guess I didn't know what to expect. The other thing is that I feel like I have bent over backwards to make sure that this works out for her by not offering anything else. I'll keep going!

Have you looked into BLS or BLW (baby led solids/ baby led weaning) ?

that's what several moms here did and it worked great. letting a child who is ready (sitting unassisted/grabbing at food/etc...) sit at the table with one soft item they can self feed (think little chunks of banana or avocado to start) ... this makes things easier in that you don't have to wonder when she's full or even sit there spoon feeding.... I loved it and tell any mom who will listen about it
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07