Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply/poor latch problems

Default Oversupply/poor latch problems

My 6-week-old had a tongue tie cut a couple of weeks ago; we are still struggling with a shallow latch but with the help of an LC I'm confident it can get better. The problem now is my overactive letdown. I've been block feeding and detaching at the letdown to get rid of the "spray" but because of LO's still-too-shallow latch she continues to gulp air as she eats. All the advice I can find says to try her in a laid-back or side-lie position, but when I try those positions the gulping gets MUCH worse. (We do cross-cradle because it allows me to regulate her latch better.) I'm hoping that as my supply regulates itself the problem will not be so pronounced, but in the meantime my poor baby still keeps getting all kinds of air in her tummy, which makes her full before she can get all the way back to the hindmilk. (I do burp her, but I have to burp her every 30 seconds and eventually she just gets frustrated/worn out and goes to sleep. Then she has green mucousy poops and needs to eat ALL the time.) Advice?

Default Re: Oversupply/poor latch problems

try her in a laid-back or side-lie position, but when I try those positions the gulping gets MUCH worse.
    YOU are laying back, with baby kind of on top of you (more or less)-yes? Just checking...

What about still doing cross cradle but angling babies bottom down more lower than her head?

What worked for me with forceful letdown is nursing very frequently. Offering long before cues, as needed. An sometimes I had to hand express a bit to release first flow before nursing.

You could discuss with your ibclc if Full Drainage and Block Feeding might be appropriate for you.

look at the bright side-if you did not have the overproduction, baby might not have gotten enough milk due to the tongue tie/latch issues.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post

look at the bright side-if you did not have the overproduction, baby might not have gotten enough milk due to the tongue tie/latch issues.

Shame on me for not having thought of that before! Thank you, I needed that perspective.

,Thanks for the advice on her position. I had been sitting bolt upright, almost leaning forward over her, because that seemed to be the only way to get her to latch. But I've been experimenting with position and found a sort of modified cross-cradle/laid-back combo with one hand around the breast being used. I can kind of lean back after she latches on.

I would not mind feeding her so much, except for the fact that we are moving cross-country in less than 2 weeks. It's a 26 hour car trip already; we can't stop every 10 minutes for her to eat for 2 hours the way it's been going so far. I'm just hoping these issues will resolve by then.

Well, I would not say shame on you! But I do think that since so many moms seem to make 'extra' milk there must be a reason. Maybe it's to safeguard for when there are issues.

Ugh, cross country with a newborn! I cannot even imagine. OK, in that case, a pacifier may be helpful. baby won’t starve if you don’t stop every 10 minutes. If you are not driving, you may also try mastering the mom in back seat leaning over baby to nurse move, or at least, pinky pacifier move.

Either that or think about just the two of you flying instead?

btw, I missed this part of your op :
    but in the meantime my poor baby still keeps getting all kinds of air in her tummy, which makes her full before she can get all the way back to the hindmilk. (I do burp her, but I have to burp her every 30 seconds and eventually she just gets frustrated/worn out and goes to sleep. Then she has green mucousy poops and needs to eat ALL the time.) Advice?
    What happens if you just don't burp her and stop worrying about "getting to the hindmilk?" Did some one tell you this was important? As I understand it, the issue with forceful letdown that sometimes causes green poop and intestinal discomfort is too much foremilk, NOT not enough hindmilk. And while it (too much foremilk) sometimes causes discomfort, it is not a true health issue. If your baby is full, baby is full. Burping in order to get more milk into an already full baby may actually be counterproductive. Just like everyone else, normally a baby will burp when a baby needs to burp, usually with little assistance except perhaps being brought into an upright position. All your milk is good for your baby. Green poops are not a health issue.

I like the option where you and baby fly, and someone else drives the car.

Also, please don't worry overmuch about your baby not getting hindmilk. I think it's a lot easier to think of this issue as baby getting too much sugary foremilk rather than not enough creamy hindmilk. All milk contains all that is necessary for a baby to grow and thrive, and there's no abrupt crossover from foremilk to hindmilk, but rather a gradual transition from milk that is more watery and more carbohydrate-rich, but which still contains plenty of fat, to milk that is less watery and more rich in fat, but still contains plenty of carbohydrates and water.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What happens if you just don't burp her and stop worrying about "getting to the hindmilk?" Did some one tell you this was important? As I understand it, the issue with forceful letdown that sometimes causes green poop and intestinal discomfort is too much foremilk, NOT not enough hindmilk. And while it (too much foremilk) sometimes causes discomfort, it is not a true health issue. If your baby is full, baby is full. Burping in order to get more milk into an already full baby may actually be counterproductive.

I eventually came to the same conclusion about burping--she never seems to have a lot of gas pain so I gave it a rest. My baby has a history of poor weight gain--she would be on me and on me and on me and either not gaining or gaining very slowly. (This was even though she was having 10 or more greeny stringy poops a day) So my LC did definitely stress getting the fattier milk. Part of the problem was that her latch was so shallow that once she got past the initial "spray" of milk she would just kind of...gnaw. Her latch is now much better, thank goodness!

Honestly, I almost don't know what it would be like to have a "full" baby! When she's awake she ALWAYS seems to be hungry--rooting, chewing on hand, etc. IDK if I might be misreading her cues--like maybe after almost 7 weeks of worrying about her weight gain I tend to interpret everything as a cue! I don't like to think that I might be forcing her to eat, but when she lunges to the breast every time someone puts her on a shoulder I don't know what else to do but put her on...again! (But now that she's eating more normally I think this may just be the 6-week growth spurt.)

I've been practicing the lean-over-the-carseat move--goodness but I feel silly! But I think it will definitely come in handy especially in that last stretch!

You can never go wrong offering the breast. A baby who isn't hungry won't eat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You can never go wrong offering the breast. A baby who isn't hungry won't eat.
    I so agree with this, I want it on a t-shirt. Will I be arrested if I wear a t-shirt that says "You can never go wrong offering the breast."?

Will I be arrested if I wear a t-shirt that says "You can never go wrong offering the breast."?
    Nope. You'll also be a shoo-in for the job at Hooters that you've always wanted.