Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encouragement

Default Encouragement

I'm in need of encouragement to get through the last two months. Advice... Support...please. Experience... All welcome.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; June 7th, 2013 at 01:58 AM.

Default Re: Encouragement

I am responding to you now. I do not know all your background but I recognise the feelings of desperation and bewilderment. Your baby is not lethagic, he is active smiley and although weight gain has been an issue his overall good health indicates that he is indeed well nourished.
    Does this sound right?
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I am not familiar with your situation, I read maybe one of your posts and I can tell you were (or are) very stressed.
    Now, you made it this far, and that is awesome!!! 2 months is nothing. I can tell you that! I am now passed 1yr and I never thought I was going to pass the 6mo mark... and I almost quit altogether at around 5 weeks, thanks to bad advise from MIL, DH worried about baby not eating enough, and just not being surrounded by BFing mamas for support (none of my friends with kids BF'd and SILs did it for a little while... and I was a formula baby myself!). LLLI has been of so much help!

So... after you've come this far, I am sure you can keep going for a few more weeks. Really, it will go by faster than you think.
    So, hang in there!!!

you can do it!!!! i know you can. you have powered through the about 80% of the first year on willpower ... habit will get you the rest of the way
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You can do it, mama! Did you ever think you'd get this far? You made it this far, though. Another 2 months... You can do it!!! It will go quick.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just think of it as a few more weeks. Take one day at a time and you can do it. !!!! I remember reading your posts in the beginning and you have come soooo far!!! GO back and read some old ones and remind yourself how much you have done for your LO. You should be proud of yourself.
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

esthervegan- he's the happiest baby i've ever seen. always smiling. just challenges every step of the way. due to weight gain issues, constant nursing, lip/tongue tie issues, things have never been smooth. I would make small adjustments to our routine and weight gain would improve for a bit, and then fall off again. i feel like our situation was far from textbook. I still don't really understand why weight gain was slow, or why we had/have the issues that we did/do. For instance, now during the week, I nurse DS 5-6 X per day and pump 4x, every two hours, at work and after most nursing sessions. I pump 16-18oz per day. So, i feel i can safely assume my supply is within the daily average my ped gave me of 20-32oz. its probably even on the high end of that average. but ds has never gained. i don't know if his needs are just unusually high or if there's something wrong wtih my milk... I don't know. And, now, he doesn't empty me when he nurses so my pumping sessions that follow nursing sessions usually yield 1.5-2.25oz. it also makes nursing/pumping an almost constant activity for me. it's just hard. and I'm ready to have a little more freedom.

Mommal- no. i never thought i'd get this far. i'm happy i've stuck with it. i just have my fears. ds was born in the 99th percentile for weight at 10lb 11.8oz and was 21.75in, which i'm guessing is on the higher side of average. at his 9 mo appt, he was right at 50% for both weight and height... and that was before he started crawling, so I'm guessing it's a little lower now. I always wonder if I should be supplementing because of this. I guess I still don't understand that part of it. If my supply is average but he's still not gaining, does that mean he isn't getting enough? Does that make sense? and he's always hungry.

one day at a time. that is my new mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    ds was born in the 99th percentile for weight at 10lb 11.8oz and was 21.75in, which i'm guessing is on the higher side of average. at his 9 mo appt, he was right at 50% for both weight and height... and that was before he started crawling, so I'm guessing it's a little lower now. I always wonder if I should be supplementing because of this.
    but mama, as you KNOW, whatever problems you faced in your first 6 months, this is an absolutely textbook pattern for breastfed babies! mine, who never had any trouble gaining, went from 95th %ile height and weight at 1 month and 6 months to 50th %ile at 9 months ... in fact he gained exactly zero from 6 to 9 months. because that's just what bf babies do. it's not a call to supplement. i know that ship has sailed, but i think most of your trouble here (as you know ) is your constant self-doubting. remember, weight gain slows WAAAAAY down as they get older, and so does the need to constantly upgrade clothing sizes. stop freaking out
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

You're definitely right. Self doubt has been a very common theme throughout my nursing relationship. i vascilate between feeling burnt out, stressed about supply and supply maintenance, and contentment. Believe it or not, i am content about this whole thing sometimes . While I still go to that place of stressing about supply, I'm mostly burnt out. I know it's worth it, and I know I will feel satisfied with my efforts and what i've done for my son when he turns one, but right now i'm tired.

For you ladies who have nursed a LO to a year and beyond, did you start to scale back your pumpings/ nursings after the year mark or before? And, what did you do?

I know I'm going to keep nursing after he turns one, and will probably only dig out the pump if I'm away frm DS for overnights or weekends (if that's even necessary), but I don't really have a plan.

i ditched the pump as soon as i could - my semester ended at 11 months and then i was working from home, so that's when i quit pumping. continued to nurse on demand from that point, and it gradually decreased as he took more solids. though to be honest i'm not sure it actually decreased much between 12 and 21 months due to teething, etc! i went back to working outside the home full time at 14 months and did not resume pumping then, just nursed nights & weekends on demand.

you'll definitely want to keep the pump for times you're away. i brought mine with me when i was away for 5 days/4 nights at 21 months and found to my surprise i didn't need to use it for comfort, but i think much younger htan that i would've wanted to pump to maintain supply as well. with what you're pumping now it's clear your supply is fine, but you'll just have to see how it goes.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13