Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Purple Nipple after Pumping

Exclamation Purple Nipple after Pumping

Does this happen to anyone else? I have noticed that while I am pumping and right after I have purple nipples. Is this cause for concern? I currently use a PISA twice a day while I am at work. I pump for 15 minutes each session.
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Default Re: Purple Nipple after Pumping

Sounds like a vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/. A different size of shields may help, since vasospasms often result from compression of the nipple.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Purple Nipple after Pumping

I notice the same thing. It goes away as soon as I stop pumping. I was also wondering if my shield could possibly be to big (I can't imagine it being too small). I don't really know how to tell. I think my whole (if not most) areola gets sucked in with my nipple. I'm not sure how much or how little should get sucked into the flange. I never have know if I am using the right size. My nipple/areaola looks like it swells while pumping. Is this normal too?
    ~Chrissy~

First time mother to Avery Grace 7/17/2012