Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby won't latch big

Default Baby won't latch big

My ds is 7 days old now, and strictly bfing. No binkys or bottles. The thing is, he just will not open wide enough to latch big, I've tried everything the LC told us but when I do get him to open big enough he just pulls off :/ I'm not having any pain or discomfort with the way he is latching so far, but he does do some clicking during letdown, which I think is too much for him sometimes because he will just pulls off and fall asleep.

Should I worry about his latch? I also can't get him to nurse more than 10 min if I'm lucky, he just falls asleep. I've tried the wet rag, tickling his feet to keep him awake, no clothes......

Thanks for any advice

Default Re: Baby won't latch big

If the latch feels okay and the baby is producing enough wet/poopy diapers and is gaining weight appropriately, then there's no reason to worry. A latch that feels good usually IS good.

Clicking and fast nursing sessions together suggest fast letdowns and oversupply, and your baby is still brand-new, which increases the likelihood. Most moms overproduce in the early days of breastfeeding; it's nature's way of ensuring the baby gets enough to eat while mastering the art of breastfeeding. Try using reclined nursing positions, which enlist gravity to slow the flow of milk to the baby, making nursing more comfortable for him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much for the reply! He really favors the side lying position and in this position I'm able to get a full feed oddly, he has both lips curled out which I can't seem to get very well in any other position. His birth weight on 5/30 was 7lbs 15oz. This past Tuesday the 4th he was 7lbs 8oz. I plan to take him in for a weight check again Monday. Does this sound ok so far? He also has a lot of poopy and pee diapers well over the daily minimum

You want to look for baby to be back to birthweight by 2 weeks. What was baby's lowest weight?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"