Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased BM and solids intake?

Default Decreased BM and solids intake?

My daughter will be 1 next week and the past several days has decreased her nursing and solids intake. She's never been a demanding nursling and I've always proactively offered nursing to her. She's typically offered the breast 8-10 times a day, including 2-3 times overnight when she wakes or starts to stir (we cosleep). She's also always been super distractible, so she nurses best when sleepy or asleep. (I already do the quiet, dark room, etc.) She's shown little to no interest in solids, with the exception of meals here or there where she'll eat more than just a few bites. I offer solids after nursing 4-5 times a day and she usually eats just 2-3 bites and then is finished. She recently started refusing most things on a spoon (yogurt, applesauce, etc.) and prefers to self-feed, but still only eats a few bites before she is finished. She eats a pretty good variety of things (sweet potatoes, avocado, ground turkey, buttered toast, oatmeal, etc.), just a miniscule amount. I offer water in a straw cup with solids and she maybe drinks a couple sips.

I suppose my concern is that the past several days she's been having much shorter nursing sessions (except the asleep ones are the same) and has all but refused solids. She's on the verge of walking and is babbling up a storm, so could this be related to a big developmental jump about to happen? She's also been biting me, so I wonder if she's about to get another tooth. That's usually the only time she bites...unless she's bored or not hungry and I'm offering to nurse.

She's already a petite girl, so I'm always concerned when she isn't eating well. She's almost always happy and is very active and engaged, but it's like she could practically exist on air!

Default Re: Decreased BM and solids intake?

I should add her wet diapers are ok, maybe a little drier than usual, but still 5-6 per day with a really heavy one overnight. Her poopy diapers are sort of like playdough and she does strain a bit when she's beginning to go, which is confusing since her solids intake is so little. She poops every other day or so.

What you describe sounds very normal for a very distracted, year-old baby who is probably teething up a storm. I would simply continue to offer the breast frequently- even short nursing sessions are great for getting calories into a baby, because older babies are usually capable of getting a lot of milk very quickly, so that they can get back to playing ASAP. And take a relaxed attitude to solids, which at this age are still mostly for play. Until around a year breastmilk is capable of meeting all of a baby's nutritional needs, and while solids become an important part of a baby's diet in the second year, it's not like babies go from needing nothing but milk on day 364 of life and a ton of solids on day 365.

There's nothing who with being petite! I know it can be tough to have a small baby, or a slender toddler, but trust me: once you're into childhood there are no prizes handed out if your child is on the upper end of the charts. Just warnings about the epidemic of childhood obesity!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Totally with mommal. Monster was like that about one and he still has days like that. I just usually offer to nurse around his usual nursing times (or when I think it's been too long). He has a small table in his room and I will also leave a plate of healthy snacks out and he'll do some "drive by eating" as he sees fit. Just wait for the days when she demands to nurse a billion times a day AND begs for "acks" (what we call snacks around here) all day long!
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

All sounds normal except the slight constipation, (and even that is not actually unusual) and that alone could explain baby backing off on intake for a bit. Since baby is obviously still living mostly on breastmilk, (which is fine) certainly there is no harm in continuing to gently offfer to nurse but not stress too much about it.

For your general concerns about your childs eating habits, I strongly suggest the book "My Child Won't Eat." The author discusses normal infant and child appetite and food intake in a very (imo) commonsense way. One thing he talks about is that at around a year, just as many people expect baby to start eating lots of food, appetite often naturally DECREASES, causing tons of unneeded stress for worried parents.