Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only nurses well laying down...

Default Only nurses well laying down...

Now that we're finally off the nipple shield we've ran into an interesting problem. I've been bringing my baby to bed with me (no judgement please) for nightime nursing and so I'm nursing him laying down- I end up falling asleep every single time... and he'll sleep with me the entire night and I just keep my top down for easy latching.

Well.... now he has a hard time nursing throughout the day............we used to do the cradle position when he was on the shield, sometimes even without the shield he'll nurse fine- but about 75% of the time- he'll latch on..suck suck suck- look freaked out- pop off and start screaming. I'm thinking maybe it's an over active let down? I've tried laid back nursing and he wont have it..but- if I get the boppy out- and lay him on it and just kind of support him on it without holding him in my arms- he'll nurse..I think b/c it's mimicing the bed?

I don't know- but it makes feeding him in public really hard.............. b/c I can't just lay down on the floor....

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Default Re: Only nurses well laying down...

you won't get much judgment for bringing your baby to bed around here - MOST of us do it and recommend it, as far as i can tell! just make sure you have a safe bed: http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

my DS, who had essentially no nursing problems, also definitely preferred nursing laying down, till well over 6 months. it's not really a "problem", just somethign to work around. it just meant that we could never get a really good feed in public until then, he'd snack but would always have a good nursing when we got home. i hear your frustration though! the first 3 LLL meetings i went to that was what i was asking about.

i found it easier if i could raise my knees very high, like setting them on another chair (at butt height). the back seat of the car seemed to work particularly well for some reason too.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My DS also prefers laying down to nurse. He loves that position. When we are out in public, like the pp stated, he really only "snacks" but then makes up for it when we get home. He gets really fussy at the breast when we are out an about if I try to make him feed longer, so I just roll with the punches. I also sleep with my baby and wouldn't have it any other way!! You are doing great!!
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

agree with pp, sideling is a great position and very comfortable for most moms and babies. So, why not?

For when sidelying is not convenient, I do suggest keep playing around with laid back. All laid back means is mom is not sitting ramrod straight up or hunched over baby, or totally flat on her back, or sidelying. Every thing else falls under the category of ‘laid back.’ As long as mom is supported and/or comfortable, Mom can be just slightly reclined, leaned over to one side or the other, with lots of pillows around, no pillows, with a breastfeeding pillow, whatever works. I’ve done laid back sitting crosslegged on the floor, sitting in a chair at a restaurant, etc.

Baby can be in any position. My daughter prefers laying more or less on her right side and prefers my left breast, so when I do 'laid back' on the couch, I lean over partway on my left side, she is kind of nestled half on my torso and half on my left arm. I just found newborn pics my husband took and we were doing the same thing on the hospital bed. It’s almost like a cross between sidelying and laid back.

My point is, keep experimenting. There is no wrong position-as long as baby is getting milk and baby and mom are comfortable, it's a 'good' nursing position.

This is exactly how my life is and it's been going on for 4 months, baby is 6 months old. My guess is definitely the let down is too strong, that's what our problem was. Even though it's gone now, she won't ever nurse unless we're lying down.

I had the same exact thing happen as you, night time feeding (we bedshare and have since day 1) was going great, and the day time was awful. Once I switched to lying down with her in the day time she gained twice as much weight. For whatever reason that is the only way she will feed. She's also a very large baby, and I think she just feels more supported lying on the bed, which I can understand.

It does make nursing in public almost impossible. It stinks, but I've learned to live with it. It sure doesn't stop me from trying to change her mind now and then! But now that she has teeth I've stopped trying to offer unless she really seems to be "requesting" to nurse in public.

I agree with the person who suggested keep playing with laid back positions. I'm not going to lie, it's very hard to have a little one who will only eat in one position, but for me it's doable and I don't mind so much any more. I'm hoping as she gets to the toddler stage and starts communicating more with me maybe I can see if she'd like to nurse while she is sitting up next to me, or something like that. I highly recommend keep trying different things (the position that lllmeg describes sounds so good I'm going to try it!), I feel like we are stuck in a rut with only feeding on the bed most of the time. Baby gets too distracted in the living room watching her big sister.
    Last edited by @llli*karrieperry; June 6th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
    and Mama to two little girls

things will change! as baby gets mobile, they'll definitely have something more to say about their nursing positions, and you'll get a lot more options
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My babies would only lie down to nurse for the first few weeks. I gently kept trying different positions with them and now at 12 weeks they are open to almost anything. They will almost always do the cradle hold, but I realized last night that one of them prefers side-lying position when she's really tired in the evenings. We also cosleep, so I bet they associate side-lying with bedtime. When trying different positions with them, I would make sure to put them tummy-to-tummy (which is more comfortable for a baby's neck and allows her to position her head for breathing). I would only try it for a minute or so, and if they weren't interested or got mad, I would switch to side-lying and try it again the next time. They caught on really quickly.

Thank you for all the replies! Fantastic to hear from others who just lived with it Honestly- I have decided that if he will ONLY nurse on the bed or on his boppy (laying like he would on the bed) then as long as it's getting him milk, that's great. I've heard there are "travel boppies". I may just invest in one. :-\ I don't know.

And as far as monitoring his diapers for milk intake (since I'm off the nipple shield and trying not to suppliment b/c the pediatrician told me it would be ok to just "stop" b/c I need to build my supply and I'm not "supplimenting" formula enough to really affect him) ... does anyone know how to tell with cloth diapers? I don't know that I change them as often as I do disposables. I try to change his diaper every feeding- and sometimes I can't ALWAYS tell if they're wet b/c they're microfiber (bumgenius) type stuff.. they always feel damp or...musty sometimes.. are the guidelines more or less diapers with cloth?

Thanks!