Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refusing breast(s) ... only sometimes??

Default Refusing breast(s) ... only sometimes??

Okay mamas, I'm stumped!

My 8 week old has cried at my left breast for probably about a month now, but not consistently. It would happen in the afternoon/evening mostly, but before bed and in the morning all was well. *Note: she sleeps at least 7 hours straight already, if not more, and is gaining weight WONDERFULLY, so the only thing I could rule out was lack of supply.
    8 Well, now for the past few days to a week, she does it on both the right and left breast. Again, not in the morning, usually afternoon, evening, but is perfectly fine again at night when swaddled before bedtime.
    I went back to work this past Monday, so we have introduced a bottle from about 4-5 weeks to prepare. She does NOT do it with the bottle EVER.
    AND THEN there are some days where both breasts are a-okay with her, no fussing/crying at all.

Good news - most of the time when we take a break, be it a few minutes or an hour (depends on what she wants/tells me), she ends up latching on and finishing.

I have tried different positioning which has helped once or twice. I am not the type who usually eats exactly the same thing every day so there would be no obvious consistencies. No weird poop or fussiness other times leading me to believe it is something in my diet she doesn't agree with. She has always been the baby to un-latch when letdown occurs. During letdown I almost always spray, so I am assuming I have what is considered a forceful let-down or whatever the lingo is, but if it upset her that much wouldn't it happen every time, since my breasts do let down like that every time?

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. This is really puzzling me! So I must ask the expert mamas!
    I'm Donna
    Wife to my best friend Ronnie
    Mommy To:
    Colin born 1/1/11, 9lbs even - 22 inches
    Natalie born 4/5/13, 6lbs 9oz - 19.5 inches

Default Re: Refusing breast(s) ... only sometimes??

Forceful letdown would be my guess. I do not think it will necessarily upset baby every time. Sometimes baby is going to be ion the mood for fast flow and others, not so much. Also, even if it looks to you as if it is spaying every time, it may not feel that way to baby. Read this article: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

If this sounds like it might be the situation, Lots of things to help baby adjust to the flow. See article. Try those first, for several days. especially the nursing more often, letting baby nurse on one side at a time, and nursing in a reclined position so baby is more 'on top' and/or in a position where baby has head above tummy during nursing sessions. Or sidelying, which also works.

If you have overproduction, Block nursing would reduce milk production faster than it normally would normally. But it has the potential of reducing production TOO much. A reduction in production is very likely start to happen anyway due to just the normal course of things, plus, with separations from baby plus long sleep stretches, which usually reduce production. So I would suggest not block nursing yet.

I've only skimmed that page so far, but it definitely sounds like her!! I did not pump at all in the first month, maybe even 6 weeks, but she did it before then. If I was exclusively only letting her feed when she wanted, is it possible for me to have oversupply? I know that now when I pump I could create more, but I thought when it was exclusive, it shouldn't happen? She is also my baby who sometimes eats every two hours, sometimes 3-4 hours. My son was ALWAYS every two hours, never had an issue when I overproduced or had forceful letdown, so this is a lot more "new" to me than I would have expected. I will try those positions! Both my son and her, however, have always only been a one sided nurser. Thank you SO SO much. Time to experiment!
    I'm Donna
    Wife to my best friend Ronnie
    Mommy To:
    Colin born 1/1/11, 9lbs even - 22 inches
    Natalie born 4/5/13, 6lbs 9oz - 19.5 inches

Overproduction happens for many reasons (as you say, such as unneeded pumping) or no discernable reason. It may be more prevalent with second, third fourth etc. children. And forceful letdown, while often a part of overproductuion, may happen without there being any overproduction.

I have had overproduction with all three kids, only pumped early on with oldest. With my youngest it was the worse, I really had to make sure she nursed at least every two hours or so on the early weeks or I got badly engorged. In our case, she actually handled the flow pretty well, most of the problems were on my side. In other words there can be lots of variables with this stuff!