Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 week old pooping green, not watery or foamy, oversupply?

Question 9 week old pooping green, not watery or foamy, oversupply?

Baby has never had issues pooping, always had the mustard yellow seedy poops until about 24 hours ago when there was some small bits of green ( looked like little pieces of spinach ) in his poop. since then he is very gassy and has had 2 poops, both green in color, have an odor, and are not watery at all. didn't spread in the diaper at all, and no foam. does this sound like foremilk/hindmilk imbalance? I am concerned that everything I read about that says " watery or foamy green poop" and again, definitely not watery or foamy. I started block feeding 3 hours each side about 12 hours ago. also, baby has been waking up to feed every 1-2 hours the past two nights when before he would go 2-3 hours. any suggestions are appreciated, tyia.

Default Re: 9 week old pooping green, not watery or foamy, oversup

Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us how old your baby is? And if you're seeing any symptoms of oversupply (because that's what foremilk/hindmilk imbalance is) other than some green poops? A history of weight gain would also be useful.
    Signs of high supply include things like:
    - mom frequently feels engorged or full
    - mom may leak a lot
    - mom may experience a strong letdown sensation (if she is one of those moms who experiences a letdown sensation)
    - baby may be very gassy
    - baby may cough, gag, splutter, or make a click or cluck noise while nursing
    - baby may pull off the breast while nursing
    - if baby pulls off the breast while nursing, mom may observe milk spraying or squirting from the breast

In general, you don't want to block feed unless the baby's poops are CONSISTENTLY green, not just for 24 hours but for weeks at a time. The occasional green poop or bout of gassiness is nothing to worry about.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 9 week old pooping green, not watery or foamy, oversup

Thank you for the reply. Baby is 9 weeks, been gaining steady. Born at 7.7, lowest weight 6.10, 2 1/2 week was 7.8, then one month was 8.8. Getting chunkier since, but we haven't weighed him. My supply adjusted well in the beginning, i was only engorged for about 48hrs. I am a sprayer/ leaker for sure... he always has to hurry to keep up the first feeding on a side, and baby was definitely gassy. I was concerned about the consistency of the particular poop and the fact that he seemed to really have to work to pass the movement that was so thick. since I posted he really has improved, and only had one diaper that had any green in it. think I may have jumped the gun on posting, but wanted to get some advice in case things didn't improve. Now, if I could only get him to let me sleep longer than 2 1/2 hours at night. :-) Thanks for the reply, you are very knowledgeable.