Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused... Bad latch on one side at night?

Default Confused... Bad latch on one side at night?

So I just finished nursing and I started out on my right side and my son kept latching on funny and it hurt like the dickens so I kept breaking the latch. Finally I decided to try the other side after several unsuccessful attempts on the right. He latched on first time without a single problem. This is the second time this had happened. During the day we have no problem latching whatsoever. Just at night (9-11pm) and the right side. What gives????

Default Re: Confused... Bad latch on one side at night?

Oh yes forgot to mention baby is 4 weeks old. Not sure if that makes a difference. I think he is also at the end of a growth spurt too!

Default Re: Confused... Bad latch on one side at night?

Does he usually have a preference for one side or the other? Usually nighttime is kind of lazy time. If latch issues are ok during the day, I'd just keep breaking the latch and trying to get it right or switching sides.

Could also mean the flow is different on that side - faster or slower, but honestly, as long as you are alternating during the day I wouldn't worry too much and assume it's just a thing that'll pass soon enough.