Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bubble and change in eating habits

Exclamation Bubble and change in eating habits

Hello all.

I have a few issues going on as of recently. My LO has been eating less during the day while I am at work and more when I am at home. DH says that he is only drinking about 1 ounce every few hours but is overall happy. When I get home he will nurse nurse nurse. He has been waking up more often to nurse which is fine with me since we cosleep. I am a little concerned that he is not taking much while I am at work. Also, since he has been nursing more, my nipples have gotten so sore (newborn days all over again). Yesterday I noticed a tiny bubble that looks like it is filled with water on the tip of my left nipple. It is becoming borderline painful it is so sore. Any ideas what could be going on??
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!

Default Re: Bubble and change in eating habits

I can't speak to the decrease in daytime eating, but have had the blisters like you describe. From what I can tell from my experiences, it's a friction blister, kinda like if you were to use a tool like a shovel and dig a big hole, then notice there is a blister on your hand because you're not used to doing that kind of work. So, maybe baby is nursing a lot more or more vigorously or just latching poorly and some part of his mouth is rubbing the nipple. I get these every so often, sometimes I notice that his latch was bad but sometimes not. I just wait for them to either pop on their own or eventually subside. I don't ever pop them myself--seems like a recipe for an infection. Yes, it might be painful for a day or two, or maybe 3-4. If you notice it subsiding or that it popped on its own, the pain should also decrease. I would add that if it pops, it will most likely leave what looks to be like an open wound/sore or even put a crack in your nipple. Mine does that . Just be careful if you notice that and either use some APNO if you have it or maybe some antibiotic ointment to avoid infection. I was using APNO and thought it had healed, so stopped using last week, and this week I got mastitis b/c bacteria got in through the crack. No fun. So, I'm very sorry to hear that you are also having some problems, and I hope that it won't be as extreme as my case!

Default Re: Bubble and change in eating habits

Do you happen to know where I can purchase APNO?
    Happy Mama of 4 beautiful boys ages 14, 10, 7 and the newest member of the family:
    Damian Gabriel 2/13/13 , , twice a day at work, and finally successfully. We never gave up and we are as happy as can be !!