Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lip tied? Pic*

Default Lip tied? Pic*

We have been having issues from the get go and I have reviewed symptoms as a result of lip tie and she has most- I nursed my son for 17 months maybe 16 but I really can't remember) and I thought ALL of his issues were food related (that only compounded his issues) but I think he had/has you have tie also. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this and if they got it corrected for their baby? I know my daughters (born 5/6/13) is not severe but wondering if this looks more on the normal side or if it common.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

Default Re: Lip tied? Pic*

It's a little hard to tell -the pic gets fuzzy when you enlarge it -but I'd say it's definitely a grade 3 or 4 lip tie. I got my DD's lasered when she was 9 weeks old, and I would have done it sooner if I'd gotten a diagnosis sooner and hadn't had to travel so far for it.

Have you checked out Dr. Kotlow's website, kiddsteeth.com? There's lots of good info there. Have you checked for posteriod tongue tie? From what I've read, PTT and ULT are commonly found together. If you're looking to have it revised, I suggest looking for a dentist that does it with laser. As far as I know, you don't need to get a referral from a GP for a dentist, so it might be faster than waiting for a referral to an ENT or something.

In the meantime, this blog has a good way to get baby with a lip tie latched http://thefunnyshapedwoman.blogspot....-frenulum.html

Sorry its so bad (image quality and writing errors)! I wrote and downloaded pic from cell while resting (which equals mind racing) in bed, not a great combo. Now, off to finish reading ur response!

I have looked at that site and lot of pics but for some reason I just can't figure out if I'm visually over exaggerating- I guess since it is my own child. I have an apt with a dentist today to look at her! However I live in mobile al and after experiencing the roundabout with my son (allergies and fpies which not many drs are knowledgable about that I can find) I wanted to see if it is all in my head or if I need to keep looking for someone who know more about it if this dentist blows it off. We r having issues to the point that I'm battling the idea of not breastfeeding, breastfeeding is winning for now as My stomach turns at the thought of me not breastfeeding however I just can't take knowing she is so uncomfortable swallowing so much air and the constant thought of "well I ate this and she is miserable, but what if she just swallowed too much air" my diet is Very restricted right now and hope once this is fixed she will be better and then I can add more back! Sorry to ramble and thanks do very much for response. Oh and I had no clue about posterior tt, thanks i will def ask dentist to check it out! I really hope this dentist knows a good deal about it, but not sure if he lasers or clips. I might be traveling in the near future...

I don't think it's all in your head, especially if the symptoms match. Maybe print off some info from Dr. Kotlow's website to bring with you to the dentist to show him? I hope that your visit goes well - please come back and update us!

Thanks! I'll try my best to update!

I suggest, if your dentist is not already knowledgeable on this subject and is unconvinced by Dr. Kotlaw, find someone local who is in the breastfeeding support world and ask them if they know of any doctor or dentist who understands lip and tongue tie and it's detrimental effects on breastfeeding. Many are still simply unaware of this as an issue.

If issues are severe enough mom is considering giving up breastfeeding, action of some type is needed. Because not being breastfed is a serious health risk to an infant.