Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help with co-sleeping/breastfeeding!

Exclamation Need help with co-sleeping/breastfeeding!

Help!I woke up for my 6 month old's 3rd feeding of the night to find he had escaped from the arm's reach co-sleeper and wedged himself between the co-sleeper and the bed. He's fine, but I was so shaken up that I couldn't go back to sleep! I LOVE the convenience of my co-sleeper, but maybe it's time to look at other options. How did other mommies deal with night-feedings and co-sleeping when their little ones were old enough to crawl, or wriggle right off the bed? I don't want to move him to a crib, but I'm afraid I may not have any other options. I don't know what I'm going to do tonight...

Default Re: Need help with co-sleeping/breastfeeding!

I'm sorry you had that scare, and I'm glad all is well. These forums are a good place to get ideas and tips from other mothers about co-sleeping, so I hope you'll get several responses.

We also used a co-sleeper crib when our son was tiny, but once a baby is at all mobile, that crib is not a safe co-sleeping option because of the low sides. Some other co-sleeping options to consider for a 6mo include attaching a regular crib to your bed in sidecar fashion, putting your bed snugly against a wall and sleeping with your baby between you and the wall, or putting your own mattress on the floor and keeping the baby with you there full-time. Regardless of what option you choose, you of course want to be sure that your bed is a safe place for a mobile baby -- many headboards can be entrapment hazards, for example (this is the reason that our family opted to remove the bed frame and head/footboards and just put our mattress on the floor, for example).

Good luck figuring out your options, and don't hesitate to post again with any questions or concerns.

heres a page about sidecaring your crib
    http://www.littlewatkins.com/info-sidecar-crib.html

I definately know what you mean-my daughter fell off the bed when she first got mobile, and it scared me senseless!!! Now, I have my bed wedged against the wall, and keep her between me and the wall- if she wakes for more than one feeding, I just reposition her on the correct side after the feeding!!!
    The other option is to put your bed on the floor-something that I am now considering!!!

With my first LO, I kept her in the Graco travel crib for 6 months right by the side of my bed. She was in arms reach at all times and completely safe from rolling off of anything. After that we moved her to her own crib in her room b/c I was no longer bf'ing.

With my new LO, she is sleeping the same way. I don't know how long we will have her in there this time around. I hope that I will bf for much longer, so I plan to keep her near me as long as she wakes up at night to feed.

I found this option to work very well for us. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Hopefully you get through tonight with no troubles.

My lo as well as my son-who is 6 now- both slept on my arm with me holding them. I alternate arms throughout the night. It works well with me because I am a light sleeper when my lo's are around. My son slept this way until he was over a year old. He continued to sleep with us until he was around 3-but no longer on my arm I think it is safe as long as your not too heavy a sleeper. It doesn't make for the most comfortable sleep, but it makes it easy to nurse.

Just wanted to see how your night went last night - and what you decided on doing...

Hope all is well!
    Last edited by DebiMommyTo2; November 25th, 2006 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling :o)