Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What is "normal"

Default What is "normal"

My youngest son will be 2 in a couple of weeks. He nurses a lot. All. The. Time. But, he IS getting his bottom 2 yr molars right now. But that aside, he loves to nurse. I go to the Dr. for checkups and they ask "how often does he nurse?" Ummm... Am I supposed to be counting? He just nurses whenever he wants? Does 30 seconds count as a nursing session because if so, maybe 78 times per day?

You get what I'm saying? Haha...

So... Is this normal? To be honest, I didn't plan on nursing past 2. I nursed my first son just shy of 2. But, now that the second birthday is quickly approaching... Ack! We are not ready at ALL to wean. Not even close.

This is perfectly normal and okay, right?
    Emily~ nursing my 19 mo old baby boy with baby #2 due June of 2011!

Default Re: What is "normal"

If you're comfortable and baby is comfortable, it's normal. Every nursing relationship is different, but it sounds like you guys are happy and your answer to the pediatrician just needs to be "he nurses enough to be happy" because counting is really not necessary.

Is he growing, is he developing, is he happy, is he healthy, is he getting the nutrition needed to thrive...? Those are the questions that they are trying to quantify, and you can't so I just respond with "often enough."

Normal for toddler nursing encompasses everything from kids who are completely weaned to kids who nurse all the time. What matters is whether or not the current level of nursing works for you and your baby. Is he healthy, happy, growing? Are you okay with nursing so much, or are you getting worn down?

"Fly-by" nursing is really normal for a toddler. As his independence and abilities grow, he's going to check in with you for reassurance. A kid who is completely weaned might come in for a hug and a cuddle. A nursing toddler will come in for a hug, a cuddle, and a quick session at the breast. But a toddler's need to check in with mom diminishes with time. As he gets more comfortable venturing out on his own, for longer periods of time, he's not going to run back to you every couple of minutes. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mine are still newborns, but I have to say this kind of sounds like a dream come true. I really had a hard time with constant nursing in the beginning, but now I've grown to love (maybe even need) it. I hope that mine still love nursing when they are that age, and that I'll still be producing milk by then!

Ds will be 2 in two weeks also. It sounds like we're in the same boat with a constant nurser! I couldn't imagine weaning him yet; he'd never slow down to cuddle with me otherwise.

Definitely standard EBF fare! I'll elaborate shortly...
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; June 6th, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

It's just past noon here and we've already nursed 4 times. I'd say DS19mo nurses anywhere from 8-16x/day, with the average around 12. Teething seems to have wrapped up, so night nursings (we bedshare) are down to 1-4x/night from 3-6.

I love nursing DS, and he is effusive in his enthusiasm about nursing. It's so gratifying to be able to meet his nutritional and emotional needs with such a loving and simple tool. He's told me repeatedly that "I love nursing" and that he drinks "tasty Mummy milk". He routinely chooses breastfeeding over even his favourite foods, though he's become a prolific eater, too.

I'll admit I have a goal of doing at least some nursing until DS is 2 (contingent on DS' interest). I can foresee us nursing past 2 on demand and following a child-led weaning process. I think this would make a beautiful transition to independence and respects young children's judgment.

On a more tangential note, I've observed that DS is more than usually independent for his age. He's the child at the park who fearlessly tackles challenging terrain, who reassures himself with positive self-talk when he messes up, and who hasn't had separation anxiety since he was 7 months old. For all intents and purposes, he has the confidence and sense of security of a typical 4 year old. I believe our close breastfeeding relationship played a not insignificant part in his confidence. I'd be willing to bet other extended breastfeeders would offer similar stories.

So while our nursing relationships may not be "normal" based on social conventions, I'd say they're biologically and anthropologically desirable!
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; June 6th, 2013 at 10:54 AM.

Sounds normal to me. At least, my 19 month old is like that. I work full time but when I'm home, it seems he's asking for "nu-nu" every other minute. Well, not really every other minute, but it's rare that a full hour goes by, unless we're out of the house.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!