Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 19 months--still no period?

Default 19 months--still no period?

I'm just wondering when the toddler-nursing mamas got their periods back? My DS is 19 months now. I had one period at 9 months and then nothing since (no, I'm not pregnant). I do have the Mirena IUD and I know some women stop getting their periods with Mirena, so it could be that, but I'm just wondering. We still nurse on demand, but I work full-time so it's only when I'm home. I'd guess we average 5-7 sessions per day, sometimes more. He usually sleeps through the night but sometimes wakes once. Does this sound like enough nursing to be keeping my period away? Should I talk to my doctor? I don't mind not having a period but it's starting to make me worry if everything is "normal" and if we'll be okay in a year or so when we start TTC #2. Will I need to wean before we TTC, if my period isn't back by then? Thanks in advance!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Default Re: 19 months--still no period?

The level of nursing you're doing is generally not enough to result in cessation of menses. On average, nursing mothers get their periods back at around 15.5 months postpartum, though many will get their periods back sooner and some will go longer. Fertility tends to return when moms go >6 hours without nursing, which is why the return of fertility often coincides with a baby sleeping through the night or transitioning to a majority solid foods diet.

You've already had one period and you have a Mirena. To me, that suggests that Mirena is what is keeping your cycle away, not breastfeeding. If it was breastfeeding, you wouldn't have had that one period at 9 months; once your period returns it's very unlikely that breastfeeding can chase it away again, not without some sort of hormonal assistance- and that's where the Mirena comes in. Right?

So I doubt that you need to wean in order to conceive. Or if you do, that's a bridge you cross when you come to it- when you're ready for another baby and after you have had the IUD removed.

That being said, yes, do talk to your doctor! If you ever have a question or concern, they should be there to answer it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The Mirena doesn't suppress ovulation. Its effect on decreasing menstruation as I understand it is due to local effects of the progestin on the uterine lining. So you could do fertility tracking to try to figure out if you're ovulating, even if you're not seeing a period.

Mine came back at about 6 or 7 months postpartum. I agree with mommal, I'd bet it was the IUD, especially since you did have a period at 9 months. When did you get the IUD?
    Mama to
    O - July 2008
    and
    J - June 2012

Thanks for the replies, ladies. I got the Mirena at my 6 week postpartum check-up. Bled for about a month after it was inserted (normal, or so I hear), then nothing till 9 months postpartum, then one period, then nothing since--not even spotting. It had occurred to me to try to track my cycle with basal body temping to see if I'm ovulating. I don't think I am, based off cervical mucus and other signals. Maybe I'll try tracking my cycle, or maybe I'll just call my OB and see what he says. Anyway, thanks.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I'm almost 20mo postpartum with no period yet. DS is a heavy nurser (he's still light on solids) and co-sleeper. I have no idea what our longest stretch is without nursing; maybe 4 or 5 hours at night.

Also, this link may interest you:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ths-postpartum

I was 18+ months post partum before I got mine.
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and