Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recipe for baby's first birthday cake?

Default Recipe for baby's first birthday cake?

Hi mamas, I'm happy to say that my LO will be 1 next week and I'm looking for some good recipes for a birthday cake. DH said he'd make one, but then indicated that he'd just use a boxed mix from the store. I think there's too much sugar in that for a baby! Especially a baby whose only solids include fruit/veggie purees (mostly Gerber jars but some homemade), Cheerios, rice crisps for babies, yogurt melts, and various flavors of baby puffs. He doesn't eat bread yet, so I'm not sure how much cake he will eat, but I don't want it to be a load of sugar. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Default Re: Recipe for baby's first birthday cake?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andie613 View Post
    Hi mamas, I'm happy to say that my LO will be 1 next week and I'm looking for some good recipes for a birthday cake. DH said he'd make one, but then indicated that he'd just use a boxed mix from the store. I think there's too much sugar in that for a baby! Especially a baby whose only solids include fruit/veggie purees (mostly Gerber jars but some homemade), Cheerios, rice crisps for babies, yogurt melts, and various flavors of baby puffs. He doesn't eat bread yet, so I'm not sure how much cake he will eat, but I don't want it to be a load of sugar. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!
    This first recipe calls for a lot of honey, not recommended or children under 1 so just want to point that out as your LO is just turning 1
    http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/...cake-cupcakes/

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/c...h-ganache.html
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Wow. Those cupcakes look amazing! Esp. the chocolate, mmmmmm

This simple recipe is what we do for birthday cakes in my son’s Kindergarten. Low sugar cake. Of course, you could add more sugar or honey and make it sweeter. But it's really good as it is.

Kindergarten Applesauce Cake

(Makes enough for about 30 mini-cupcakes)

2 1/2 cups unbleached white or whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup honey or sugar (I used honey)
    2 cups applesauce (3 if using sugar) (use “natural”- no sugar added)
    1 egg
    1/2 cup oil (I used olive)

Mix together dry ingredients. Add wet to dry, stir to mix. Grease pan. Bake at 350 degrees, 15-30 minutes. (Shorter time for cupcakes.) optional- Serve with fruit and fresh whipped cream

And this is an old LLL recipe I have used for all my kids first b-day cake.

Applesauce Cake (From Whole Foods for Infants and Toddlers)

1 cup whole wheat flour (I am sure any flour would be fine)
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp cloves
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup brown sugar (You could substitute honey if you wish, honey is sweeter so you probably don’t need as much)
    1 egg
    1 cup applesauce (use “natural”- no sugar added)
    1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Stir dry ingredients together in small bowl
    In larger bowl, Mix sugar and oil well, add egg and applesauce
    add dry to wet, mix
    add raisins if desired
    Pour batter into a greased 8-inch round cake pan. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes
    Cool before removing from pan.

Serve with fresh whipped cream if you like (I have never found frosting works well with this cake. Fresh whipped cream either unsweetened or lightly sweetened is awesome and really easy (esp. if you have a electric mixer.) You take a carton of heavy whipping cream and whip it in a (preferable chilled) bowl until it becomes 'stiff." or “plopable.” The whipped cream can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge overnight if you wanted to make it ahead. If you wish, add honey or confectioners sugar (I bet stevia would work too? Never tried it...) as you mix.
    Or, simply serve cake plain or with some applesauce on the side!

I made these for my LO's first bday (posted this on the Vegetarian group). No icing on hers. I used some agave instead of sugar. I then made some rum cream cheese frosting for the adults!

http://www.mommiecooks.com/2011/09/26/pumpkin-cupcakes/
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

all zhose recipes sound yummy!

I made carrot cake, with reduced sugar amount (replacing most of sugar with applesauce) for his first Birthday.

I have seen a number of recipes for a vegan chocolate avocado cake. The sugar can be replaced with applesauce and honey. I have not tried any so I dont know if they are any good and I was looking for me as Ellie is only 14 weeks. But they all sounded really good.
    I used to make apple zucchini muffins too. A little cream cheese frosting on them and I assume they would pass for cupcakes for a LO.

Thanks, all. I made the Applesauce cake. He mostly played with it, made a huge mess, but then did eat some of it. Anyway, he had a great time. A good first birthday!

Congrats on first birthday mom! Big milestone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Wow. Those cupcakes look amazing! Esp. the chocolate, mmmmmm

This simple recipe is what we do for birthday cakes in my son’s Kindergarten. Low sugar cake. Of course, you could add more sugar or honey and make it sweeter. But it's really good as it is.

Kindergarten Applesauce Cake

(Makes enough for about 30 mini-cupcakes)

2 1/2 cups unbleached white or whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup honey or sugar (I used honey)
    2 cups applesauce (3 if using sugar) (use “natural”- no sugar added)
    1 egg
    1/2 cup oil (I used olive)

Mix together dry ingredients. Add wet to dry, stir to mix. Grease pan. Bake at 350 degrees, 15-30 minutes. (Shorter time for cupcakes.) optional- Serve with fruit and fresh whipped cream

And this is an old LLL recipe I have used for all my kids first b-day cake.

Applesauce Cake (From Whole Foods for Infants and Toddlers)

1 cup whole wheat flour (I am sure any flour would be fine)
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp cloves
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup brown sugar (You could substitute honey if you wish, honey is sweeter so you probably don’t need as much)
    1 egg
    1 cup applesauce (use “natural”- no sugar added)
    1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Stir dry ingredients together in small bowl
    In larger bowl, Mix sugar and oil well, add egg and applesauce
    add dry to wet, mix
    add raisins if desired
    Pour batter into a greased 8-inch round cake pan. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes
    Cool before removing from pan.

Serve with fresh whipped cream if you like (I have never found frosting works well with this cake. Fresh whipped cream either unsweetened or lightly sweetened is awesome and really easy (esp. if you have a electric mixer.) You take a carton of heavy whipping cream and whip it in a (preferable chilled) bowl until it becomes 'stiff." or “plopable.” The whipped cream can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge overnight if you wanted to make it ahead. If you wish, add honey or confectioners sugar (I bet stevia would work too? Never tried it...) as you mix.
    Or, simply serve cake plain or with some applesauce on the side!
    I've made the LLL cake quite a few times and everyone has loved it. I put powdered sugar on the top.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.