Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Related Strike

Default Supply Related Strike

I went to a wedding this weekend - returned home between the ceremony and the reception - but we had to let my mother-in-law give bottles of breastmilk in my absence. I pumped before and after I returned each time. My supply has significantly dropped between being away and and my 6-mo baby now refusing all daytime feedings because there isn't much there and he doesn't want to work too hard when he could be playing. I can dream feed him, but he's using me more as a pacifier than trying to activate a letdown. How can I quickly increase my supply (have been taking fenugreek, drinking H2O and eating oatmeal and am pumping) and get baby back on the breast before he gives up for good?

Thank you!! I'm so frustrated

Default Re: Supply Related Strike

Bump
    Life is Beautiful.

How is it going now? Can you give us more info? Like, is baby normally taking bottles or was it just this one time? Is baby on solids?

how long were you gone?

IMO the only real way to increase supply is nursing or pumping. What you eat likely has minimal effect (unless you are severely malnourished, but even then I believe you can maintain your supply for several weeks even in famine conditions).
    and Mama to two little girls

Here's what's been going on:
    I work full time and pump 4x while DS is at daycare. On Monday's, after a good weekend of nursing, my supply is great. I easily get 20 oz over 4 sessions. As the week continues, the pump output is less and less. By Thursday and Friday, I am lucky to get 14oz over 4 sessions. And as my supply dwindles over the week, DS is less and less willing to come to the breast when I get home or after he fully awakens in the morning. Usually, with a lot of patience and time on Saturdays, I can get him back to the breast so he can restore my supply, and then the cycle begins again. But more and more often he's refusing on Saturdays, too, and my supply doesn't rebound. It seems like pumping instead of nursing is causing a slump and I don't have any ideas/options to reverse. I can't pump more while I am at work.

20 oz is a LOT of milk--is that over a regular 8/9 hour work day? And is baby drinking all of that? If baby is drinking 20 oz, he might be reluctant to nurse at the end of a work day because he is full! If baby is getting too much milk while you are at work, that could explain why you are having nursing troubles.

I am away from baby 11 hours a day. If baby is to receive 1.5oz per every hour of separation, I calculate that I should pack him 16.5oz minimum. I pack 20 and he almost always wants a 4oz bottle every 2 hours. He's on the small side (20th % weight), so I am reluctant to cut back on the milk, especially when he isn't a huge fan of solids. I feel that if after a weekend of good nursing I can pump 20oz over 11 hours, that's the amount that baby wants in that time span. I could be wrong.

I am replying on my phone during a pumping break...hopefully someone can jump in and fill my gaps, but 1.5 oz per hour is actually the maximum intake, not the minimum--the suggested intake is anywhere from 1-1.5 oz per hour. So in your case, anywhere from 11-16.5 oz would be reasonable intake. You are actually pumping more than the average feeding amount on Mondays by a good bit! So you don't have a supply problem.

There is nothing wrong with baby being 20th percentile, as long as baby is gaining and not dramatically dropping off a much higher growth curve. A baby is just as healthy at the 20th percentile as in the 75th percentile and everywhere in between.