Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding on demand - When does it get easier

Default Re: Feeding on demand - When does it get easier

I don't know if easier is the right word, but it gets... different. And different results in better and in so many ways it gets even more rewarding. When they start to become little people and react to you. When they play, crawl, pull up to stand, react with delight (lit up face, arm flapping) when you enter a room where someone else is holding them (or for me when i come home from work). When I am not at work we nurse on demand. 11 months 1 week now. I swear last night DD was attached to my boob in the bed the entire night. But if you can avoid letting it fill you up with tension, you adjust. And appreciate the tenderness, the bonding. Sometime I look at her face when she's nursing and asleep and I'm completely overcome with joy. I have learned to sleep somehow. Not always, but most nights I don't even notice our wake ups. And somehow I get through work every day. I don't even drink coffee/caffeine! Hang in there.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cosmicbabe View Post
    I do worry about feeding in public because sometimes he takes a while to latch on and he can be fussy and pop on and off and I find it all a bit of a faff. I can't find anything to wear that makes bf in public easy and not obvious.... I also panic if he starts crying and there's nothing I can do to comfort him? I guess it's all in my head and I need to chill out and go with the flow...
    The popping on/off thing is not permanent. Trust me! Your baby probably doesn't enjoy it any more than you do. He wants to nurse. He just has to make the connection in his head between latching on, sucking, and happiness. Young babies latch instinctively. They'll latch onto your elbow or a finger if given the chance. Older babies latch on because they know breast = food + comfort. So just wait for your baby to grow up a little!

When it comes to nursing attire, you have some great options:
    1. Special nursing shirts that have discreet openings- I think it's worth buying 1-2 of them, if you're very shy
    2. Layers- wear one layer you can pull up over another that you can pull down, and you'll be able to expose the minimum necessary. For example, wear a lightweight, scoop-neck camisole or tank top under a blouse. When it's time to nurse, pull the top layer up and the neck of the tank down to expose however much breast you need.
    3. Nursing covers. Not my personal favorite because they can be unweildy and some babies hate them, but great for a lot of people! Bebe au Lait and Hooter Hiders are good examples, but you can make your own for a lot less $$$.
    4. Nurse baby in a sling.

Positioning a young baby can be a challenge. It may help to stuff a couple of extra baby blankets in your diaper bag, to make an on-the-go nursing pillow.

My OH thinks I Molly coddle him too... He's not really had a look in as he is normally on my boob so when he does give him a cuddle he cries (baby not OH lol). So I need to let him bond with his own son x
    Oh gosh, your baby is a teeny tiny BABY!!! It is natural, normal, and desirable to mollycoddle a baby. Otherwise babies would be born able to walk, talk, and rent their own apartments. Enjoy this stage while it lasts.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; June 21st, 2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think ease of outings is also a bit variable from baby to baby, and mother to mother. Honestly, my LO utterly HATED her car seat until about 4 months old, so that made outings hard for me until quite recently. She also hated wraps, slings, carriers, swings, strollers...so she was not an easily portable newborn! However, she is 7 months now, and we go out plenty now. It just took time.

I do think there is a bit of a learning curve with nursing in public, too--it took me about that long to figure out how to always manage it easily, and to figure out what I preferred to wear. (For me, I do best with tops I can pull aside to quickly pop the breast in. No clips or fasteners, I can't manage them, ha!) So for me, it truly has gotten easier as my baby has gotten older, even though she is more mobile and interested in things. That actually HELPED me get her out more...she goes a bit longer without nursing, will sit happily in her car seat now, is easier to nurse efficiently in public, and so on.

People keep telling me it gets easier but you don't think so?
    SOME things get way easier - like nursing, your concern about him popping off and it being hard to latch in public - that gets easier. OTHER things get way harder, like what mommal was saying about a little baby being quieter, wanting to be held vs a crawler or toddler wanting to go everywhere and lick everything. eating in a restaurant, going to a movie, things like that are WAY easier before 4 or 6 months than they are after.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I do worry about feeding in public because sometimes he takes a while to latch on and he can be fussy and pop on and off and I find it all a bit of a faff. I can't find anything to wear that makes bf in public easy and not obvious.... I also panic if he starts crying and there's nothing I can do to comfort him? I guess it's all in my head and I need to chill out and go with the flow...
    All totally normal fears. I had the same ones. I was especially worried about my babies crying in public because of all the attention. With twins, we were already getting so much! They definitely cry less at 3 months. They are busy looking around a lot of the time. Putting them on the breast is also a great way to calm them down. And I remind myself regularly that people rarely mind a crying baby. Most people think it's cute, and everyone knows that it is normal and expected, as long as you aren't letting them cry during a movie, etc. Luckily, it's summer, so we can choose outdoor seating a lot of the time. Outdoors a screaming baby seems less intrusive, I think.

I worked hard to get comfortable nursing in public in the beginning because my sisters all used to leave the room to feed their babies anytime we were around family. I was against having to do that, so I practiced at home with a blanket. People didn't even always know I was breastfeeding at all. You don't have to cover the baby's face with the blanket. I practiced leaning back and using the excess blanket to form a little hood around their heads. This way the baby can still see me and breathe easily, and doesn't get too hot. The funny part is, I'm completely comfortable nursing without a blanket in public. I often just expose myself if I'm at a restaurant or the park, etc. But my family is extremely conservative.

I'm at 6 days and always figured it would get better soon. Your thread makes me feel a scared. 8 weeks and still no sleep? I don't know if I can last that long!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*calif View Post
    I'm at 6 days and always figured it would get better soon. Your thread makes me feel a scared. 8 weeks and still no sleep? I don't know if I can last that long!
    Well they have to eat something. It's a lot easier to nurse than to sterilize and mix up bottles, ensure they're the right temp, clean the bottles, repeat. And nursing is not only unbelievable nutrition for your baby, it's free!

I've been nursing 11.5 months so far and many on this forum are way beyond that so clearly it's possible!
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Don't be scared! My LO will be 11 weeks in 2 days and things have improved!! He wakes twice in the night for feeding which is easy as we co sleep. I've got more of a routine in the day and he smiles and babbles away to me. Makes any worries I had seem to go :-)

6 days in is hard I know!! But it truly does get better so don't give up!! X

No one goes 8 weeks or even 8 days with no sleep. They would die. Literally. There are plenty of warning signs before that. If you start hallucinating, you are REALLY sleep deprived. In 5 years of being a LLL Leader I have never met a hallucinating mom.

What happens is your body adjusts to getting much LESS sleep. really, it does. Also, you learn to maximize your sleep opportunities. That is why we say things like "sleep when baby sleeps." People think that is a cute little saying. NO. It is a new mommy survival technique.

It DOES get better soon. Unless there are specific problems that crop up, it really gets a little better every day.

I know the baby needs to be fed. I just get so much pressure to stop breastfeeding. Especially my mom is staying with us to help out and she feels bad she can't help me with the feeding part. In fact, she is so restless pacing back and forth all day having not as much to do as she had thought. If I switch to formula then my husband and Mom can both help. The past few nights I've been feeding nearly all night long. I keep telling her I'm fine and it will get better. But I don't believe myself. And I'm so afraid I'd cave in to the pressure.