Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Alcohol while breastfeeding

Default Alcohol while breastfeeding

Do you think it's ok to have a few glasses of wine a week? Say 1 glass a night or every other night?

Default Re: Alcohol while breastfeeding

this is a useful resource: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...style/alcohol/

milk is a blood product, so as soon as there's no alcohol in your blood, there's no alcohol in your milk. there's generally no reason to abstain from A drink, as the amount transferred through milk is a tiny fraction of what you take in. but to be more conservative, many moms nurse while or just before the drink, to maximize the time their body has to process the booze before nursing again. there is no need to pump and dump if you time it right (boozy milk does not just sit in your boobs, it gets refreshed like blood). a lot of moms use the rule of thumb about if they're too drunk to drive they're too drunk to nurse, and i suppose if you have a good sense of your blood alcohol level like that it's probably not a bad guide.

so in short: yes, i think it's totally fine to have a glass of wine every night.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I would be totally fine with a glass per night/every other night.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great. I wasn't sure if it was the same rule as when ur pregnant..

Yay! I didn't know that was OK and would love to have a glass of red wine here or there. This just made my night hehe.

lots of medical providers are relaxing their rules about alcohol while pregnant, too, by the way - it seems to be the US that is particularly uptight about having an occasional drink. in fact, when my milk hadn't come in on day 3 at the hospital, my midwife told me to go home and have a glass of wine!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

i agree with PPs BUT also I noticed that while before pregnancy I was able to drink socially without much noticable effect, when I started again when my son was abotu 3 or 4 months and I had the occasional small glass of wine half a glass was the most I could have, i felt tipsy even from a few sips, if you know what I mean. I guess I am trying to say go easy on it when you start again, especially if you cosleep and if alcohol makes you sleepy, this is not a good situation. Even now some 4 years on I still feel it much quicker than I used to.