Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not getting enough while trying to EP

Default Not getting enough while trying to EP

Ok, I decided from day one that I wanted to EBF. However, when my son was born, he was ill, throwing up, and given a bottle (after a feeding tube). I started pumping from day one. Every two hours for 15 minutes every single day. He was given formula in the hospital (which I hated, but understood he needed it). Even though they kept him in the nursery and gave him formula I still pumped although usually i got nothing. When he was released from the hospital, I tried to breastfeed but only a few days and he was already spoiled on the bottle! He is now 4 weeks old and I have tried to breastfeed using everything I could think of including a nipple shield. He just wont take it. He won't even try. So I have decided that I will EP because I would rather him have my breast milk one way or another. Well I still continue to pump but only get about 0.5-1 ounce per pumping session. That is both breast total. So if I give him a bottle of breast milk it is normally from a few sessions! He drinks formula and normally only gets one bottle per day of breast milk. I want him to be breast milk only but I just don't have it. He would starve! I know a baby stimulates more than a pump ever could but he absolutely refuses. Is there anything I can do to increase my supply while pumping? I really hate that he has had this much formula already.

Default Re: Not getting enough while trying to EP

HI mama, welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you've had a rough start. Have you worked with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, on trying to get baby back to breast? Or for help using a supplemental nursing system? Has your LO been evaluated for tongue tie or other physical barriers to nursing? You've probably seen this already, but if not, here are some additional suggestions for getting baby back to breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

In terms of your pumping, are you still pumping every two hours for 15 minutes? That is a lot of pumping and normally should do the trick. Which leads me to: what kind of pump are you using? At this point you want to be using the best possible pump you can, to help increase your supply. That will usually be a hospital-grade, double-electric rental pump. And you want to make sure the flanges fit properly - again something an IBCLC can help with. Do you have any pain with pumping? Pumping should be comfortable; pain can interfere with letdown.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    In terms of your pumping, are you still pumping every two hours for 15 minutes?
    and is that around the clock? how many times per 24 hours are you pumping?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I am in the process of seeing a IBCLC, its just they are an hour away from where i am and my husband is living another few hours away for school at the moment so I have my son by myself. Yes, I am still pumping every 2 hours for 15 minutes each. Some nights I will go 3 hours between sessions but I pump a minimum of 10 sessions per day. I am not sure how good my pump is, it was a gift. It is a single electric pump and on the front it says "miPump the first years" I am not sure where I can rent one but if I need a better pump I will definitely be getting one. I have no pain while pumping. My pump is turned all the way up as well which may mean the pump is no good. I should probably do some research on it, which o would have done had I been the one to make the purchase.

yes, pump is absolutely the first thing you need to fix. immediately! like, tomorrow. your insurance should now cover a double-electric with a rx from your ob/midwife/ped, which is the minimum an EP mom should have. get that, and also consider renting a hospital grade - this would really be the best. you can often get these at the hospital, or via IBCLC. call tomorrow to ask.

and hang in there! it sounds like you are really doing a lot by yourself right now. do you have other good local support and help?

and yes, keep your plans with that IBCLC.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm actually not open with anyone about my issues with breastfeeding or pumping because I have always assumed it was something so natural and should come easy and anyone could do it, so while I'm sure family and friends would be supportive, no one is aware there are any issues. I used a double electric in the hospital which they gave to me, but they did not give me the part that made it electric so as pf right now it is a manual double pump which I figured would not be as effective as an electric single.

For EP, you need a top quality pump, preferably a hospital-grade rental or a really good double electric consumer model (e.g. Hygeia Enjoye or Medela Pump in Style- they usually cost around $200-300). Single electric pumps and manual pumps just squander your time and energy and emotional strength, and as a new mom you probably don't have enough of any of those 3 things!

I know it's really hard, but I strongly encourage you to keep on offering the breast in as low-pressure a way as possible. You ever know when baby may make a breakthrough.

Some medical issues which can impact supply include PCOS, thyroid problems, and retained placenta. Any of those a possibility for you?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cynthia.rd View Post
    I'm actually not open with anyone about my issues with breastfeeding or pumping because I have always assumed it was something so natural and should come easy and anyone could do it, so while I'm sure family and friends would be supportive, no one is aware there are any issues. I used a double electric in the hospital which they gave to me, but they did not give me the part that made it electric so as pf right now it is a manual double pump which I figured would not be as effective as an electric single.
    while breastfeeding IS natural, that doesn't mean it's easy! as many many moms on this forum can attest. i really like the ads Canada put out a few years ago: http://www.first6weeks.ca/learning/l...t-natural.html

but anyway, i really encourage you to seek out other forms of support. not just here - this is great! - but also locally to you, a LLL meeting, other breastfeeding moms you know, family you know will be supportive.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

You have two issues going on. 1) baby not even attempting to nurse, (breast refusal) and 2) low milk production.

The low milk production may be entirely due to the fact you have not been using an adequate pump. This not only will cause you to not be able to express much each time you pump, it also causes milk production to be harmed. There may be other causes as well. But there need not be. Just the pump could be doing this.

You have been working so hard, unfortunately you do not have the right tools.

Fixing your pump situation is most urgent.

Next, I suggest educating yourself about milk production and how to improve it. Two resources are best for this, in my opinion. The book Making More Milk and www.kellymom.com. Of course, this is something to discuss with your IBCLC as well.

Meanwhile, here is what I suggest as a beginning stage to start brining baby back to the breast.

Hold baby as much as you can, skin to skin if that is comfortable for you, if it is not, with the breasts easily accessible (For example, with just a t-shirt or tank top on.) Let baby sleep on you this way. Don't offer the breast, just hold your baby in a way that if baby starts to nuzzle the breast, it is accessible. No expectations. Just cuddle your baby, most of the time.

Second, start thinking about how your baby is fed now. A breastfed baby gets tiny feedings multiple times a day. That is what is biologically normal. Up to a bout a month, feedings of 1-3 ounces are normal. After that, 2-3 and sometimes, at very most, 4 ounces. With baby feeding 8-10 times a day at least.

A formula fed baby can be fed in a similar way- small amounts, frequently. IN fact it is healthier to do so, even if baby never gets breastmilk. However much formula your baby needs per day, (ask your doctor) you can break it up into smaller, more frequent feedings. Your expressed milk can be fed to baby this way too, of course.

It may well help if you feed baby frequently and slow the feedings down to make them more like nursing at the breast.

See this for more- http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

It is time to let trusted, supportive loved ones in on your struggle. Working on increasing milk production and/or trying to get baby back to the breast will feel like the first week all over again. Any help you can get is going to be important.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 5th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.