Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting to pump -- Suggestions?

Question Starting to pump -- Suggestions?

Hello all -
    My son is 6 weeks old. Right now, we are EBF - no pumping or anything. However, this fall, there will be one night a week that I will possibly miss a nursing b/c of teaching a night course.

I want to make sure that he's able to take a bottle, and I was thinking we need to start now. DH will be home every day starting mid-week next week, so I thought we'd start when he is here to give the bottle.

My question comes with this: when do I pump? I can build a supply, I'm certain -- but when do I pump to build that supply if I'm EBF right now? After a nursing session?

I don't know the logistics of this. I have 2 other kids - 1st refused a bottle, and with 2nd, I just never really really needed it.

Thanks!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Starting to pump -- Suggestions?

I am sure there is a proper way of doing this and I am not sure what that is but I can tell you what I do. My supply is highest when I wake up (LO sleeps through the night and I do not get up to pump) so after she nurses I pump out what is left. I did this for most of my maternity leave. I am back at work now so I am pumping throughout the day but when I was home that was when I pumped. LO would always go back to sleep for about an hour after she ate in the morning so the timing was also right for me.
    If you have a time of day when your LO is not draining both sides it might work for you to do the same. I try to rotate sides each day. So if she nurses on the right I pump the left and then switch the next day. For that session I am routinely getting 4oz from a side so I assume my LO is getting close to that since when I have tried to pump on the side she nurses there is nothing there.
    Sorry this is not based on anything other than my experience. Hope it helps you though.

Hi mama, as the PP suggested, morning is often a good time to pump, because that's when you have the most milk. Since your purpose right now is to get her used to the bottle, all you need is a small amount of milk to put in that bottle. And then if you like you can pump at the same time your LO is taking the bottle, for the next session.

However, since you're not going to be separated from baby for several months yet, and your separations are going to be occasional, I'm wondering whether you can skip bottles altogether. Have you considered cup feeding? Here's a kelly mom link with a list of lots of resources about cup feeding: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ative-feeding/
    It just seems like way too much hassle to do all this pumping and maintaining baby comfortable with the bottle at this point when you don't really need it. And even if you do decide to go the bottle route, do you need to start now? It's true that bottle refusal can be an issue with older babies, but usually one that can be overcome. So you could start maybe a month before you have to go back to work rather than now.

i totally agree with PP - i wouldn't do any of this now. just enjoy nursing for the summer, and revisit the pumping issue 2-4 weeks before you go back to work. the most likely scenario is that she'll take a bottle from caregiver just fine at that point, and if she doesn't, then cups etc are a good alternative. why borrow trouble 3 months before you have to?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

oh, also, there shouldn't be a whole lot of need to build a supply, because you'll need to pump to replace the feedings you missed. depending on the logistics of your teaching schedule, you'll have to figure this out individually, but even one 4-hour night class a week (i'm guessing?) means you'll at most need 2 bottles, likely only 1, in advance.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hey everyone - ok, I can wait a little longer. I just didn't want baby boy to resist it. I will only be gone about 2 hours or so, so maybe it'll work out just fine. I just don't want to leave my DH stuck and freaking out.

When I said "build supply," I meant "of milk in the freezer." LOL. I have no problem with supply at all - shooting little dude in the face most times right now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*richmama View Post
    When I said "build supply," I meant "of milk in the freezer." LOL. I have no problem with supply at all - shooting little dude in the face most times right now!
    right - and we (at least i) meant that you actually don't need to do this yet. or since you'll be gone only 2 hours at a time, really at all! all you NEED is 1 bottle as a backup, nurse before you leave, and i bet dad won't even have to give that bottle very often
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

The fact that you have some oversupply going on (it sounds like) is all the more reason not to add pumping into the mix - might make the shooting in the face problem worse! I agree with auderey, you'll need a couple ounces at most in the freezer for your 2 hours apart.

Perfect and thank you! This makes me a little more calm!!