Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 month baby stopped breastfeeding

Default Re: 1 month baby stopped breastfeeding

If baby is gaining weight normally and having the appropriate number of wet diapers and bowel movements, then the baby is getting enough to eat.

Gas usually doesn't cause breast refusal. My money's on an uncomfortable mouth due to thrush.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

she was born weighing 3.7 kg for 50cm,at 36 days she was 4.7kg and 54 cm, i said maybe now she needs more : /

*What are your first and second languages? I wonder if we can find someone to help you in a language you are more at ease with...Or do you have someone there who is stronger with English who could translate for us?

*OK I do not see exactly local help. But what about contacting one of these folks in Europe or the Middle East to see if they know of a resource for you?
    http://europe.iblce.org/country-coordinators

Now, to your questions…OK, someone check my math and conversions- baby birth weight 8lbs 2 ounces, now baby is 10 lbs 5 ounces, baby is 43 days old. So, baby gained over two pounds in 6 weeks…maybe even more, since we don't know the lowest weight and babies usually lose some weight after being born...

That seems like decent weight gain to me. What was baby’s lowest weight if you know? What does the doctor think baby should weigh?

How many times a day was baby nursing before the strike? When did you start bottles at night?

Thrush can be painful for baby and could cause a strike. Are you and baby being treated for thrush?

I know your husband was trying to help, but actually, bottle usage in the early weeks can encourage baby away from breastfeeding and harm mother’s production. (This can be reversed.)

If you are only expressing twice a day, does that mean your baby is refusing the breast only twice a day, but nursing the rest of the time?

I would suggest:

Tell your pediatrician you want to nurse your baby and you want their support in doing so, which would start with appropriate treatment of thrush if you and baby truly have thrush.
    Get treatment for thrush for both you and baby
    Stop all un-needed bottles. Only bottle feed if that is the only way to feed baby (baby wont nurse.)
    Encourage baby to nurse using the ideas in the article mommal linked at beginning of thread. Can you access that article and understand it?

Nurse at baby's earliest cues. And offer whenever you like. Try not to scedule feedings at all, unless baby is not nursing frequently enough. Don't try to stretch out times between feedings. Babies usually nurse best if they come to the breast when calm, not super hungry and anxious.
    A 6 week old would normally be nursing/eating at least 8-10 times a 24 hour day. More often would be fine.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 4th, 2013 at 02:32 PM.

*What are your first and second languages? I wonder if we can find someone to help you in a language you are more at ease with...Or do you have someone there who is stronger with English who could translate for us?
    arabic(1st) & french(2nd), i'm doing my best to write right i'm really sorry but i didn't find a french version of this forum

*OK I do not see exactly local help. But what about contacting one of these folks in Europe or the Middle East to see if they know of a resource for you?
    http://europe.iblce.org/country-coordinators
    ok i can see arabic faces, i wish they can help,i'll try to send them an email and hope i get response

Now, to your questions…OK, someone check my math and conversions- baby birth weight 8lbs 2 ounces, now baby is 10 lbs 5 ounces, baby is 43 days old. So, baby gained over two pounds in 6 weeks…

That seems like decent weight gain to me. What was baby’s lowest weight if you know? What does the doctor think baby should weigh?
    she said she is ok, well feeded

How many times a day was baby nursing before the strike? When did you start bottles at night?
    i think six times a day, twice morning/afternoon/night, strike started last thursday night, she was crying and refusing my breast so couldn't sleep until having the bottle

Thrush can be painful for baby and could cause a strike. Are you and baby being treated for thrush?
    she is being treated,not me, the pediatr said if i have no pain so i haven't to use any treatment

I know your husband was trying to help, but actually, bottle usage in the early weeks can encourage baby away from breastfeeding and harm mother’s production. (This can be reversed.)
    actually after trying to feed her by myself in vain he gives her the bottle

If you are only expressing twice a day, does that mean your baby is refusing the breast only twice a day, but nursing the rest of the time?
    no she accepts only when she just woke up at the morning, and other times (morning/aftenoon) really not stable,i can't identify the time,
    but as i'm expressing by hand i find pressing tiring so i try to express once at morning and after lunch

I would suggest:

Tell your pediatrician you want to nurse your baby and you want their support in doing so, which would start with appropriate treatment of thrush if you and baby truly have thrush.
    Get treatment for thrush for both you and baby
    she gave a treatment only for my baby

Stop all un-needed bottles. Only bottle feed if that is the only way to feed baby (baby wont nurse.)
    yes that's what i'm doing,last time i tryed to let her hungry till she accepts me for 9 hours just sucking breast a lttle bit she couldn't sleep and cryed almost of the time, so i gave her the botlle, i feel she is suffering and i pity her

Encourage baby to nurse using the ideas in the article mommal linked at beginning of thread. Can you access that article and understand it?
    yes i can, i'll try to understand and make practical , thank you a lot

Your English as written is really quite good, I think I now have a pretty clear idea of what is going on, which is hard to do online even if everyone is comfortable in the same language. I just want to make sure you can understand us and no misinterpretation either way, if possible.

So, if you want, you can perhaps look up and contact a LLL Leader in Algeria? http://www.llli.org/algeria.html LLL Leader in France http://www.llli.org/france.html UAE? http://www.llli.org/uae.html

If not, can you PM me, and I will see if I can find someone here in the US for you to 'talk" with, maybe via e-mail?

Dr. Jack Newman has excellent breastfeeding info on his website in several languages. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/ I especially suggest looking at his thrush (candida) protocol and also "Starting out Right" –he has lots of good information on many breastfeeding subjects.
    The book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (2010) is an excellent resource, unfortunately I don’t know what other languages aside from English it may be available in…

Nursing Frequency: 6 times a day is a slightly low amount for a newborn to be nursing. It sounds as if baby has been gaining just fine, so that is good. But babies love to nurse for comfort and this keeps them interested in the breast even when they are unhappy, not feeling well, teething, etc. Know what I mean? Nursing is about so much more than simply feeding baby. So nursing (or offering) "just because" is a way to help prevent baby losing interest in the breast. Also of course, if you are offering the breast frequently, if baby is not interested one time, it's not a big deal, as you can always offer to nurse again soon.

Bottles: Of course most important, you must feed the baby. If this has to be with a bottle rather than at the breast, OK. You can make bottle feeding more like breastfeeding by following a few simple tips. A 6 week old baby expects feedings to be small (2-3 ounces, at very most 4 ounces), frequent (8-10 times a day or more) and relaxed, maybe a little slow. This explains how to do this with bottles http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

And if baby is getting supplemental feedings via bottle, mom must pump or hand express to keep her milk supply good. Every time baby gets a supplemental feeding.

I can probably help with French, if there's something you're having difficulty expressing in English. I'm rusty, but I can still understand pretty well.

Can you get a pump? Hand expressing is exhausting and it's often more difficult to maintain supply that way. The best way to maintain supply is to express or pump about as often as baby would feed, usually every 2-3 hours.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Hi everyone, i'm sorry i couldn't answer yesterda. In fact i've contacted the algerian member of LLLi, she told me she can help by phone or email, so i described the situation to her and waiting for response, i hope it wouldn't be too late because everything is still the same, no days are better than others

i'm back

i was reading some articles on the internet i found that the color in his tongue maybe an allergy to something, this is if we see other symptoms like yellow hair crusts. my daughter had it and she getting a treatment for her hair. Actually when she was 2 weeks old she got a big bronchitis so she was under aerosol three times and then the pediatr gave me an antibiotic. i found also that antibiotics cause thrush because it kills both good and bad bacteria in her mouth. Now maybe knowing the reason, she is under treatment for her mouth since Monday, and still refuse nursing. what can i do else?

The only things you can do are to continue to maintain supply using the pump and to patiently and persistently keep offering the breast. Offer it when she's sleepy,or even when she is completely asleep. Offer it when she's had a small amount of milk from a bottle. Offer it when she's hungry. Offer when she's not hungry at all. Offer when you are taking a bath together. There's no telling what will work to get her back on the breast.

Nursing strikes are very, very hard. Please don't get discouraged! You are really doing a wonderful job.

So you are more convinced teh issue is thrush, am I understanding correctly? If so, then you can go here for a thrush protocols. IN English and French and some languages I do not recognise.

Dr. Jack Newman has excellent breastfeeding info on his website in several languages. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/ I especially suggest looking at his thrush (candida) protocol and also "Starting out Right" –he has lots of good information on many breastfeeding subjects.