Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 month baby stopped breastfeeding

Default 1 month baby stopped breastfeeding

Hi everyone, i'm new mom here and need help please
    my little daughter was born 43 days ago, only breast feeded, but since 5 days she doesn't want me anymore, when just turning her to my breast she starts crying out loud, i tryed and tryed and tryed in vain and finally i give her bottle by the end
    i called my pediatrician she told me that my daughter prefers bottle and wont be back to breastfeeding, i'am really depressed, i tryed to put some oil on my breast she takes it sometimes and other time refuses, i baught a silicon nipple the same thing sometimes yes othertime no
    i m tired and specially depressed,how can i succeed to return back to exclusiiv breast feeding
    help me please

Default Re: 1 month baby stopped breastfeeding

Welcome to the forum!

Your pediatrician was incorrect that your baby will never nurse again. That may be true, but it also may not. A lot of babies, especially young ones like yours, do eventually go back to the breast. This link covers all the techniques I know of for gently encouraging a baby to nurse again: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin contact and instant reward technique are said to be especially helpful.

Has the pediatrician checked your baby's ears and mouth for infection? A sore ear or a sore mouth can make a baby very reluctant to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am sorry your baby began refusing the breast. That is very hard! But I am even more sorry you pediatrician was so unsupportive when you asked for help.

Your pediatrician is wrong. No baby on earth 'prefers' bottles to momma’s warm breast. If a baby has problems nursing, and/or is encouraged to take a bottle for eating for any reason, of course the baby will take nourishment from a bottle, that is simply a matter of survival, not preference.

Babies have been brought to the breast or back to the breast at much older than a month. This is not rare, it actually happens all the time. So it is also untrue to make a blanket statement that your baby "won't be back to breastfeeding." How absurd.

On the other hand, it will take some work, possibly a little, possibly a lot, it depends on what the issues are. There is the 'detective' work to figure out why baby was/is having nursing issues, then the work to bring baby to the breast, and to rebuild your milk production if that is also needed. You must decide if you are able and willing to pursue this or if it will be better for you to stop trying to nurse baby at this point and move on. Mothering is more than how you feed your baby.

You say you are depressed…have you sought treatment? I strongly urge you to talk to your doctor about your feelings. BTW, you can be treated for depression, even take most medications, while still breastfeeding.

Do you have family or friends around you who are supporting you? The newborn period is incredibly difficult and exhausting no matter how baby is fed. Sometimes new mom's think they have to do it all alone. You don't and you should not have to. Ask for and accept help from your family and friends. Sometimes we have to ask for what we need.

Lastly, have you spoken or had an appointment with a board certified lactation consultant? (IBCLC) Someone who is experienced with helping mothers to bring a baby of this age (or older) back to the breast, if possible?

For us to help you here, it would help to know:

When was the last time baby nursed at the breast at all?
    Have you been pumping? If you have, what kind of pump you are using and how many times a day?
    What kind of output do you get when you pump or hand express (If you do these things.)
    How is baby fed now...formula or your expressed milk, or both?
    How often does baby eat and how much each time, and how is baby fed (Bottle, cup, syringe etc.)
    When/if you hold your baby on your chest, skin to skin or not, does baby every show interest in the breast? Nuzzling, head bobbing, etc? Does baby ever attempt to latch? If so, what happens? I mean now, not when baby was five days old. what is happening now?

'since 5 days'-oh do you mean five days ago? I thought you meant, since baby was 5 days old?

If your baby stopped nursing only 5 days ago, that is a different story altogether. Can you clarify?

yes i mean 5 days ago i'm sorry for my bad english (third language)

yes she checked every thing and was ok just a little oral thrush that can't be the reason,she gave me a traitment anyway (daktarin 2%)

Why can't thrush be the reason? It can be quite uncomfortable for a baby to nurse when her mouth is affected by thrush!

If baby has thrush, both you and she must be treated. Otherwise there's a risk that one member of the nursing pair will reinfect the other after treatment is over.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am sorry your baby began refusing the breast. That is very hard! But I am even more sorry you pediatrician was so unsupportive when you asked for help.
    thank you

Your pediatrician is wrong. No baby on earth 'prefers' bottles to momma’s warm breast. If a baby has problems nursing, and/or is encouraged to take a bottle for eating for any reason, of course the baby will take nourishment from a bottle, that is simply a matter of survival, not preference.

Babies have been brought to the breast or back to the breast at much older than a month. This is not rare, it actually happens all the time. So it is also untrue to make a blanket statement that your baby "won't be back to breastfeeding." How absurd.

On the other hand, it will take some work, possibly a little, possibly a lot, it depends on what the issues are. There is the 'detective' work to figure out why baby was/is having nursing issues, then the work to bring baby to the breast, and to rebuild your milk production if that is also needed. You must decide if you are able and willing to pursue this or if it will be better for you to stop trying to nurse baby at this point and move on. Mothering is more than how you feed your baby.
    i want it more than anythg
    You say you are depressed…have you sought treatment? I strongly urge you to talk to your doctor about your feelings. BTW, you can be treated for depression, even take most medications, while still breastfeeding.

Do you have family or friends around you who are supporting you? The newborn period is incredibly difficult and exhausting no matter how baby is fed. Sometimes new mom's think they have to do it all alone. You don't and you should not have to. Ask for and accept help from your family and friends. Sometimes we have to ask for what we need.
    they helped me for the three first weeks,now my mom visits me once a week,and call me even twice a day to check after us, my husband also supports me a lot and even he stays with her at night to let me sleep when she refuses breast
    Lastly, have you spoken or had an appointment with a board certified lactation consultant? (IBCLC) Someone who is experienced with helping mothers to bring a baby of this age (or older) back to the breast, if possible?
    No i live in Tunisia and we don't have any services unfortunatly
    For us to help you here, it would help to know:

When was the last time baby nursed at the breast at all?
    last wednesday (29/5),thirsday till night and then strike starts

Have you been pumping? If you have, what kind of pump you are using and how many times a day?
    manually,twice a day,only when she is refusing me

What kind of output do you get when you pump or hand express (If you do these things.)
    hand press, the first day i was happy with few mlm,today i succeeded to get 80 mlm but she finished and starts crying so i gave her 30mlm formula,i feel milk is more getting down when she is sucking

How is baby fed now...formula or your expressed milk, or both?
    both

How often does baby eat and how much each time, and how is baby fed (Bottle, cup, syringe etc.)
    i tryed syringe but she cries a lot so i get back to bottle, most of the time she accepts my breast at the morning specially when she just woke up,afternoon i give her pressed milk 60mlm and 60mlm formula, at night sometimes 60 or 90mlm,i haven't exact numbers because each day i see a new scenario

When/if you hold your baby on your chest, skin to skin or not, does baby every show interest in the breast? Nuzzling, head bobbing, etc? Does baby ever attempt to latch? If so, what happens? I mean now, not when baby was five days old. what is happening now?
    no i never tryed skin to skin touch,even at birth,maybe because i had a caesarean

that was the pediatr's opinion not mine,i wish to know one reason to reject my breast

can it be because i don't have enaugh milk? how can i know it?
    can it be because of gaz? i'm giving her an anti-bloating