Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Navigating work schedule change with 10mo

Default Navigating work schedule change with 10mo

Hello everyone,
    I've been off the boards for a while living life with two boys. Now we're facing some big changes and looking for some support. I'll keep this as brief as possible.
    Current: Little guy is 10mo, happy, growing, loves nursing, loves solids (mostly baby-led), and has resigned himself to the bottle but doesn't drink a lot from it. I work part-time and he's in daycare 3 days/week. Until recently I was visiting at lunch to nurse. Now I work straight through and he eats about 8oz. while we're apart. We co-sleep and he eats quite a bit at night.

Upcoming: I will start a new job in July, more than full time, with an irregular schedule. He will split his time between childcare and my husband. I do not plan to pump at my new job (or at least very minimally for comfort). I have a small freezer stash (32 oz maybe?) but that will obviously not carry us very far.

So...where do we go from here? I absolutely do not want to wean, and I don't think little guy is anywhere near ready either. He'll be 11.5 months before my work is in full swing. Will he need formula for those few weeks? Can he be okay with solids/water/maybe cow milk during the day and nursing through the night? With my irregular hours, I may be home for lunch sometimes and in and out otherwise, but I will be working a lot. Will it cause problems if I just let him nurse when I'm around? Even if that's more some days than others? Has anyone else made a successful transition with an older nursling?

Default Re: Navigating work schedule change with 10mo

clarification: for those few weeks meaning until he turns 1.

Default Re: Navigating work schedule change with 10mo

Well, you definitely don't need to wean. But like all weaning, pump weaning takes some time - stopping cold turkey puts you at risk for engorgement, plugged ducts, and mastitis - definitely not things you want to be dealing with as you start a new job! So, to be fully pump weaned by 11.5 months/July means starting now, or soon anyway. Before a year it really should be breastmilk or formula. I mean, I think a few sips of cow's milk before a year, if there's no history of allergies, is probably okay, but I wouldn't want to rely on it as the main source of nutrition, you know? Unless you can get LO to fully reverse cycle and get all his milk during the night or during the times you pop in. But I think you'll need to have formula on hand during the day as a backup once you go through your stash. Is there any way you could extend your pumping time just a few weeks? I understand it will be busy and you don't want to have to deal with pumping as you start a new job, but it would be for such a short time....